Recognized since 2013
Litigation - Construction
Matt is a Partner and former Chair of the firm's Construction Practice Group. His focus is primarily on construction and complex litigation, with a concentration on transportation and manufacturing industries. Matt is the founder of www.bestpracticesconstructionlaw.com, a construction-related blog that focuses on lessons learned, technology, project management and legal trends in the construction industry.
Based in the Music City, Matt also represents artists and talent in the Sports and Entertainment industries. As outside general counsel to many clients, Matt provides guidance and experience in contract negotiations, insurance disputes, intellectual property matters, and general business litigation.
After working more than 15 years as a construction attorney in Nashville and Washington, D.C, Matt joined Burr & Forman to lead the firm’s construction and sports/entertainment presence in Tennessee. Prior to entering private practice, Matt clerked for the Chief Judge of the Court of Appeals of Virginia. He has also worked on Capitol Hill for U.S. Senator Pete Domenici (NM), as well as participated in the U.S. Department of Justice’s summer honors program.
Matt is a single dad with seven children ranging from 7-21 years old. In his spare time, Matt blogs about family, work and life balance at www.thesameasyou.com.
Contact & Links
- 222 Second Avenue South, Suite 2000
Nashville, TN 37201
- University of Richmond , J.D., graduated 1998
- American University, BA, graduated 1993
- Virginia, Virginia State Bar
- District of Columbia, The District of Columbia Bar
- Tennessee, Tennessee Bar Association
- AGC of Tennessee - Board Member
- American Bar Association - Member
- Associated General Contractors of Middle Tennessee - Member
- Nashville Bar Association - Member
- Scribes Society of Writers on Legal Subjects - Member
- Tennessee Bar Association - Member
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the DC Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. District Court – Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court – District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court – Eastern District of Tennessee
- U.S. District Court – Middle District of Tennessee
- U.S. District Court – Western District of Tennessee
- Virginia - Court of Appeals
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America® 2022 for work in:
- Construction Law
- Litigation - Construction
- Best Lawyers in America, Construction Law (2013-2020)
- Fellows of the Construction Lawyers Society of America (2017)
- JD Supra's Readers' Choice Award Recipient (2016-2019)
- Mid-South Super Lawyers, "Rising Star" (2011)
- Engineering News-Record, "Top Up-and-Coming Leader Under 40," South Central Region, Construction Law (2011)
- Nashville Business Journal, "Commercial Real Estate Most Valuable Player" Award in the Professional Services Category (2010)
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.