Recognized since 2016
New York, New York
Medical Malpractice Law - Plaintiffs
Personal Injury Litigation - Plaintiffs
Product Liability Litigation - Plaintiffs
Matthew Gaier is a partner at Kramer, Dillof, Livingston & Moore (KDLM), one of the top personal injury law firms in New York. He has directly contributed to the firm’s prominent success through appellate work, writing briefs, and arguing appeals.
One of Matthew’s most notable contributions was to the case Applewhite v. Accuhealth, Inc in the Court of Appeals - New York State’s highest court – which held that the plaintiffs were entitled to establish at trial that the New York City Fire Department EMTs owed a special duty to a 12-year-old girl who was having an anaphylactic reaction and in respiratory distress. KDLM senior partner Thomas Moore tried the case and a jury found that a special duty was owed, that the City was negligent, and that the plaintiffs were entitled to $172 million in damages.
Matthew has handled numerous medical malpractice and wrongful death cases resulting in multi-million dollar settlements or verdicts. He also uses his expertise in medical malpractice litigation to educate others. He has co-authored the three-volume treatise New York Medical Malpractice (Revised Edition), which is a definitive compendium of the law applicable to medical malpractice litigation in New York. Matthew also teams up with KDLM partner Tom Moore to regularly co-author a column for the New York Law Journal. He has also lectured on a variety of subjects for various lawyers’ associations.
Matthew has been recognized by Super Lawyers, Best Lawyers of America, and The National Association of Distinguished Counsel, which has included him as a member of the Nation’s Top Once Percent of attorneys.
- 217 Broadway, 10th Floor
New York, NY 10007
- New York Law School, J.D., graduated 1987
- George Washington University, Bachelor's, graduated 1983
- New York, 1987
- New York City Bar Association - Member
- New York County Lawyers Association - Member
- New York State Bar Association - Member
- New York State Trial Lawyers Association - Board of Directors
- Medical Malpractice Law - Plaintiffs, New York City (2024)
- Product Liability Litigation - Plaintiffs, New York City (2019)
- Medical Malpractice Law - Plaintiffs
- Personal Injury Litigation - Plaintiffs
- Product Liability Litigation - Plaintiffs
- Fellow of the American Bar Foundation
- Selected to Best Lawyers since 2016
- Super Lawyers, selected to Super Lawyers list, 2007 – 2019
- Member of the Nation’s Top One Percent of attorneys by The National Association of Distinguished Counsel, since 2015
- Appellate Practice
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.