Matt grew up in Rapid City, South Dakota and then attended the University of South Dakota for both undergraduate studies and law school. During his undergraduate time, he played football for the University and was named Academic All-American (Second Team). In law school, he was involved in various organizations, including trial team, and he graduated with Sterling Honors (top 10% of class).
Following law school, Matt completed a clerkship with the Second Judicial Circuit in Sioux Falls, South Dakota. He then joined the Firm’s Litigation Section in August of 2011 and was named a Partner in January of 2018. During his time with the Firm, Matt has represented clients in both the State and Federal Courts of South Dakota, including at the Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals. Matt has experience in:
- Guiding hospitals and health care practitioners through medical malpractice litigation and licensing disputes;
- Representing employers and municipalities in wrongful termination litigation;
- Counseling trustees and beneficiaries in trust and estate disputes;
- Litigating construction defect cases on behalf of general contractors, design professionals, and subcontractors;
- Representing businesses and property owners in contract disputes, property disputes, and other complex commercial and trade secret litigation;
- Representing individuals injured in auto accident and other personal injury disputes;
- Assisting businesses, both small and large, in premises liability litigation.