Mary E. Alexander
Mary Alexander & Associates, P.C.
Recognized since 2016
San Francisco, California
Personal Injury Litigation - Plaintiffs
I am the principal of Mary Alexander & Associates in San Francisco. We are a nationally recognized practice in personal injury, products liability and business litigation. I am an “AV” rated attorney at law, in good standing, and since 1982, have been duly licensed to practice before the courts in the State of California.
My firm and I have handled a vast number of complex and mass tort, class, personal injury and shareholder derivative cases. For instance, I served as co-lead counsel in the In Re: Diet Drug Litigation (Fen-Phen) Los Angeles Superior Court, J.C.C.P. 4032 (co-counsel for 164 Plaintiffs; and member of the Plaintiffs’ Litigation Committee).
In 2015, I was named one of the Top 25 Plaintiff Lawyers in this state by the California Daily Journal. I was one of four women to receive this recognition.
My legal work on behalf of plaintiffs and consumers in California, which spans nearly thirty-three years, has been recognized by the Consumer Attorneys of California, which awarded me two of its top honors—the Marvin E. Lewis Award and the Edward I. Pollock Award.
In July 2013, I was awarded the Leonard Ring Champion of Justice Award, given to a person who demonstrates Leonard Ring’s devotion to human and civil rights—a person whose life and career epitomizes that of a true champion of justice.
In 2012, I was inducted into the Trial Lawyer Hall of Fame by the California State Bar Litigation Section. I am one of only five women inducted since this special award was established in 1994.
My firm’s reputation for steadfast commitment to the protection of consumer is well-known throughout the country. Following the 9/11 tragedy, I was a Vice President of Trial Lawyers Care. This was the largest pro bono legal services program ever undertaken with over 1,500 families of victims represented. This required coordinating the work of hundreds of trial lawyers around the country.
My firm has a distinguished track record for outstanding achievements and record of success. In 2013, I tried, along with co-lead counsel, the Lead Paint case (People of the State of California v. Atlantic Richfield Co., et al.) before the Hon. James P. Kleinberg in Santa Clara County Superior Court. This was a landmark nuisance case concerning lead-based paint product sold and marketed in California. After nearly 14 years of litigation, we obtained a $1.15 billion judgment to be used as a fund to remediate poisonous lead paint from homes across 10 counties and cities in California, including San Francisco.
For the Lead Paint victory, I, along with my co-counsel, including two lawyers in my firm, were honored by the San Francisco Trial Lawyers Association and the Public Justice Foundation as Trial Lawyer of the Year in 2014.
My firm represented victims and family members harmed by PG&E in the 2010 San Bruno Fire consolidated cases.
Between the years 2002-2008, my firm represented many victims of clergy abuse in the JCCP 4359 Clergy Cases III, presided by Ronald Sabraw (Ret.).
I have proudly served as President of the following trial lawyer organizations:
- Consumer Attorneys of California – 1996
- American Association for Justice (fka American Trial Lawyers Association) – 2003
- AAJ Endowment – 2003
- Roscoe Pound Institute – 2005
- National Crime Victim Bar Association – 2012
I have served on the Civil & Small Claims Advisory Committee for the Judicial Council of California. This committee was responsible for providing recommendations to the council relating to the administration of justice in civil proceedings. It was concerned with all aspects of civil practice in the trial courts, from the most complex litigation to small claims cases.
Since 1997, I have been a member of the American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA) and currently serve as Co-Chair of the Civil Roundtable as ABOTA’s representative. I was a member of the ABOTA National Board in 2005 and 2006.
- 44 Montgomery Street, Suite 1303
San Francisco, CA 94104
- Gender: Female
- California, 1982
- Arizona, 1986
1 The Best Lawyers in America® award
2 Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch® in America awards
- Personal Injury Litigation - Plaintiffs
- - The Best Lawyers in America (2016)
- - Top 3 Personal Injury Law Firms in The Recorder’s “Best Of” surveys (2012 & 2013)
- - CAOC Women’s Caucus Trial Lawyer of the Year Award (2009)
- - Lawdragon Top 500 Leading Plaintiff Lawyers in America (2007 – present)
- - Northern California Super Lawyer (2006 – present)
- -Daily Journal Top 100
- - Pursuit of Justice Award from ABA’s Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Section (2005)
- - US Action Leadership Award (2003)
- - Honorary Doctor of Laws from University of Santa Clara School of Law (2003)
- - Daily Journal Top 50 Women Litigators (2003)
- - Daily Journal Top 100 Most Influential Lawyers in California (2001, 2002, 2003)
- - Trailblazer Award from ATLA’s Minority Caucus (2002)
- - Daily Journal Top 30 Women Litigators (2002)
- - Trial Lawyer of the Year Award from Themis Capital Corporation (2001)
- - Wyoming Trial Lawyers Association Award of Appreciation (1999)
- - Top Ten Trial Lawyers in the San Francisco Bay Area by San Francisco Chronicle (1990)
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.