Recognized since 2010
Bridgewater, New Jersey
Litigation - Environmental
Martha N. Donovan, a Member of the firm, is Co-Chair of the Environmental Law Group. She devotes her practice to environmental law and complex litigation with an emphasis on the defense of environmental property damage and toxic tort claims. She also has considerable experience working on related insurance coverage matters.
Martha has represented clients in administrative and judicial proceedings before state and federal courts and agencies, including the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection and the Environmental Protection Agency.
Martha regularly counsels clients on a variety of environmental issues, including ISRA compliance, lender liability, underground storage tank laws, and permits and approvals for hazardous waste storage, transportation, and disposal.
Martha has litigated matters relating to the generation, storage, discharge, or release of hazardous substances, including representation under CERCLA and Superfund, and has defended actions filed by adjoining, predecessor, and successor property owners alleging physical injuries, emotional distress, or lost property values. In addition, she aids in the resolution of matters involving air emissions, waste water discharges, noise pollution, and responses to spill events.
Martha has authored articles and has made presentations to various trade groups and associations on issues ranging from lender liability under Superfund to the availability of insurance coverage for various aspects of business-related accidents.
Martha has been recognized by Chambers USA in the Environment Section. She has been selected for inclusion on the list of New Jersey Super Lawyers in the Environmental Section and Best Lawyers in the Environmental Law section every year since 2010. Martha was also named the Best Lawyers 2016 Litigation- Environmental “Lawyer of the Year” in the Woodbridge New Jersey, Metro Area.
Contact & Links
- 400 Crossing Boulevard, Eighth Floor
P.O. Box 5933
Bridgewater, NJ 08807-5933
- University of Virginia , J.D., graduated 1985
- Randolph-Macon College, BA, graduated 1982
- United States, U.S. District Court - District of NJ
- United States, U.S. Court of Appeals - Second Circuit
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- American Bar Association - Member
- New Jersey State Bar Association - Member
Named "Lawyer of the Year" by Best Lawyers® for:
- Litigation - Environmental, Woodbridge (2023)
- Environmental Law, Woodbridge (2021)
- Litigation - Environmental, Woodbridge (2020)
- Litigation - Environmental, Woodbridge (2018)
- Litigation - Environmental, Woodbridge (2016)
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America® 2023 for work in:
- Environmental Law
- Litigation - Environmental
- Chambers USA
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.