Recognized since 2005
Greenville, South Carolina
Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency and Reorganization Law
Mass Tort Litigation / Class Actions - Defendants
Product Liability Litigation - Defendants
Product Liability Litigation - Plaintiffs
In a career spanning over thirty-five years of practice, Marshall Winn has had the rare opportunity to practice corporate, real estate, bankruptcy, tax, estate planning, and other areas of law at a high level, and in addition has been greatly respected as a trial lawyer with expertise in several substantive fields such as product liability, insurance coverage, bankruptcy, securities fraud, and antitrust, among others. The result: hundreds of clients with deals done, plans effected, trials won, all with greatest efficiency and client satisfaction. How is this possible in an age of increasing lawyer specialization? First, Marshall points to his partners and friends at Wyche, all spectacularly capable and eager to join in the effort to win a matter for a client – so assembling an expert team, or just asking for a little expert advice, is commonplace. Second, South Carolina is a small jurisdiction, and a smart lawyer with broad interests can end up involved in all kinds of things. Third, Marshall has developed a knack for “seeing around the corner” to anticipate and resolve issues before they become problems. Over time, that leads to a deep knowledge of the law in many fields, and it earns clients’ trust in Marshall’s advice.
Beginning over ten years ago, Marshall has served as outside general counsel to several clients based in Europe, handling legal matters for all their US businesses, working with other Wyche lawyers, and overseeing legal matters for most of their non-US businesses, working with local counsel. This international work has strengthened Wyche’s remarkable corporate practice. Marshall still attracts major litigation and corporate work to the firm and is often called upon by colleagues for counsel and assistance in other matters.
Marshall will tell anyone who will listen that he has the best law job in the world, practicing with his friends at a very sophisticated level in a firm small enough to appreciate and celebrate everyone’s differences and in a city where the firm’s influence for the good of the public is visible to the casual visitor as well as behind the scenes. He is personally involved in many of these efforts, and for fun he sings in the local symphonic chorale, plays the piano, and takes friends and their families on hikes in the nearby mountains.
Contact & Links
- 200 East Broad Street, Suite 400
Greenville, SC 29601
- Harvard University Law School , J.D., graduated 1982
- University of South Carolina-Columbia, B.A.
- South Carolina, South Carolina Bar
- American Bar Association Foundation - Fellow
- Board of Law Examiners - Member
- The Nature Conservancy of South Carolina, Jones Gap State Park Expansion Project - Member, 2009-Present
- Urban League of the Upstate - Board Member and Chairman of the Board of Trustees
- University of South Carolina Honors College - Partnership Board Member, 1999-Present
- Greenville Civic Chorale - Member
- United States Supreme Court
Named "Lawyer of the Year" by Best Lawyers® for:
- Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency and Reorganization Law, Greenville (2018)
- Mass Tort Litigation / Class Actions - Defendants, Greenville (2018)
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America® 2023 for work in:
- Commercial Litigation
- Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency and Reorganization Law
- Mass Tort Litigation / Class Actions - Defendants
- Product Liability Litigation - Defendants
- Product Liability Litigation - Plaintiffs
- Mass Tort
- Best Lawyers Greenville Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law "Lawyer of the Year," 2018
- Best Lawyers Greenville Mass Tort Litigation/Class Actions-Defendants "Lawyer of the Year," 2018
- Recognized as "Legal Elite" by the Greenville Business Magazine, 2012-Present
- Listed in South Carolina Super Lawyers, 2008-Present
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America, 2004-Present
Representative matters include
- Marshall, working with Wyche attorney Troy Tessier, represented a major paper manufacturer in a general liability insurance claim involving failure of a large piece of equipment. After three days of trial, the opposing party raised its pretrial offer from $200,000 to the full amount of the claim, nearly $2 million, resulting in settlement of the case.
- With Wyche attorney Mark Bakker, Marshall defended a large military goods manufacturer against a wrongful-rejection claim brought by a supplier alleging damages in the millions of dollars. The jury rendered a verdict for our client, even though the defense was based on a complicated Uniform Commercial Code theory.
- For many years Marshall has represented a well-known fitness equipment manufacturer. Using a principle of bankruptcy law he argued was applicable to certain legacy products, Marshall was able to resolve literally scores of personal-injury claims all across the country without any payment whatsoever by either the client or the client's insurer.
- Marshall defended an insurance company in a substantial fidelity coverage claim brought by a large local bank, resulting in a jury verdict in favor of the defendant. Jurors interviewed after the verdict took special note of certain special tactical decisions Marshall made as being important to their decision.
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.