A highly respected practitioner with over 30 years of experience, Mark advises a diverse range of clients, including individuals, business owners, accountants, other lawyers, and public and private business organizations.
Mark’s tax planning practice encompasses a broad range of client situations, ranging from the simple establishment and financing of a Canadian business, through complex partnerships and joint ventures, to cross-border financing and merger and acquisition transactions. Mark develops tailored and results-oriented strategies that legitimately minimize our clients’ exposure to tax while allowing them to focus on their business goals. By crafting thoughtful legal plans with our clients’ long-term objectives in mind, he creates opportunities for positive outcomes while simultaneously reducing potential risks.
Mark also maintains an active tax dispute management practice. Disputes with Canadian tax authorities can be costly, stressful and time-consuming for business owners. Mark believes that early intervention is crucial when it comes to both forestalling and resolving issues with Canadian tax authorities. With this in mind, he provides tactical, proactive advice from the initial audit response level to appeals and through to the court process.
- Mergers and acquisitions
- General Anti-Avoidance Rule (GAAR)
- Canadian domestic and cross-border corporate financing
- Tax litigation and dispute management throughout audit, assessment, objection and appeal with federal, provincial and local Canadian tax authorities
- Efficient structuring of foreign-owned entities carrying on business in Canada
- Real estate joint venture structuring
- Derivative financial instruments
- Initial public offering documentation
- BC provincial and local taxes
Even through the most complex of transactions and disputes, Mark has been commended by clients and lawyers on both sides of the table for his collegial and collaborative approach. He always seeks a cooperative solution that addresses the often complex needs of all stakeholders involved.