Ask Mark Jahnke how he's doing, and he will tell you he's living the dream. And while every attorney knows on some days that might ring sarcastic, Mark regularly means it.
For him, the dream is the opportunity to work with clients to help them achieve their dreams. Because clients recognize that his level of care and concern is something unique, Mark is often asked to serve on client boards, advisory groups or in other capacities that allow him to work hand-in-hand with management to achieve business goals or navigate challenges and complexities.
While day-to-day client counseling frequently occupies a significant portion of Mark's workday, his reputation has been built on and staked to the special skill he brings to advising clients on mergers, acquisitions, divestitures and other major corporate transactions. Several times Mark has represented one party in a deal only to be hired later by the other party in connection with a separate transaction.
A long-time client describes Mark as “the kind of lawyer that every CEO dreams of hiring,” and the lawyer he would want on his side of the table in any negotiation. As that client recognized, Mark does not pretend to be an expert in every area, but involves the right people as needed to help clients avoid unnecessary legal adventures. This echoes Mark’s recognition in Chambers USA as an “astute business lawyer and negotiator who is very easy to deal with,” and who will "fight for the things that are important with great practical judgment and a sense of humor.”
As the President and CEO of Katz Teller, Mark is not only the face of the firm, but a force that drives us forward. Mark’s ability to bring out the best in those around him, along with his leadership and judgment, keep us focused on achieving the level of service our clients expect and deserve.
In addition to handling a variety of matters relating to business organizations, including formation, organizational structure, owner/shareholder relationships, business succession and related issues, and representation of C-level private and public company executives, Mark has represented a number of our clients, including those identified below, in significant acquisition, recapitalization and disposition transactions:
- Washing Systems - represented the shareholders and management team in a recapitalization transaction with Gryphon Investors
- Rough Brothers/RBI Solar - represented the shareholder in connection with a sale to Gibraltar Industries
- Ampac Packaging, LLC – represented Ampac since 2000 through two recapitalizations, 14 domestic and international acquisitions and the sale to Prolamina in August, 2015
- The Minster Machine Company – represented the fourth generation owners of this Ohio manufacturing business in a sale to Nidec Corporation
- The Estate of Austin E. Knowlton – represented this Estate in the sale of a 30 percent interest to the Cincinnati Bengals. Negotiated transaction with third parties and handled sale to Cincinnati Bengals through exercise of right of first refusal
- The Midland Company – represented the controlling family shareholders and principal executives in connection with the sale of Midland to Munich Re Group
- Fund Evaluation Group – represented FEG in the sale to Old National Bank and repurchase by FEG management
- Jeff Wyler Automotive Family - has represented Wyler for over 15 years in dealership acquisition transactions
- CE Power Solutions - represented the company in a recapitalization transaction with Mason Wells