Recognized since 2005
Personal Injury Litigation - Plaintiffs
Marianne LeBlanc is a trial attorney with a proven record of success in the courtroom and over two decades of experience in representing injured clients. With record-setting verdicts in Massachusetts, Marianne’s advocacy skills draw on her commitment to making a difference both for her clients and the community at large. Marianne concentrates in all aspects of serious personal injury litigation, including liquor liability, premises liability, medical malpractice, and nursing home litigation. She has been named in “Best Lawyers in America” and has repeatedly been selected by her peers as one of the Top 100 Massachusetts Super Lawyers and one of the Top 50 Women New England Super Lawyers.
In addition to her practice, Marianne has provided leadership to a wide variety of legal, civic and community organizations. In 2018 she was appointed by the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court to a four-year term on the Board of Bar Overseers. In addition, she currently serves as Massachusetts Governor to the American Association for Justice (AAJ), as Chair of the Norfolk Superior Court Bench-Bar Committee, as Vice-President of the Massachusetts Chapter of American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA), and on the Board and Executive Board of the Massachusetts Academy of Trial Attorneys. She is a past chair of the AAJ Women Trial Lawyers Caucus, and a past President of the Women’s Bar Association of Massachusetts and the Women’s Bar Foundation of Massachusetts. She is also a past Chair of the Civil Litigation Section of the Massachusetts Bar Association. Marianne frequently lectures on continuing legal education programs for Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education (MCLE), the Massachusetts Bar Association, and other professional associations.
Marianne joined SUGARMAN after receiving her law degree from Boston College Law School in 1993 and has been a principal of the firm since 1999. In addition to her leadership roles in the legal community, Marianne also serves on the Town of Westwood's Commission on Disability and served for several years as the Chairman of Westwood's Finance and Warrant Commission.
Contact & Links
- Lawyer Page: https://www.sugarman.com/
- Prudential Tower, 30th Floor
800 Boylston Street
Boston, MA 02199-8001
- Boston College Law School , Juris Doctorate
- Wellesley College, B.A.
- Massachusetts, 1993
- American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA) - Vice-President of the Massachusetts Chapter
- Boston Bar Association - Member
- Massachusetts Academy of Trial Attorneys - Board and Executive Committee Member
- Massachusetts Bar Association - Member
- Massachusetts Board of Bar Overseers - Member
- Norfolk Superior Court Bench-Bar Committee - Chair
- American Association for Justice (AAJ) - Massachusetts Governor
- Women's Bar Association of Massachusetts - Co-Chair, Judicial Pipeline Committee
- U.S. District Court of Massachusetts, 1994
Named "Lawyer of the Year" by Best Lawyers® for:
- Personal Injury Litigation - Plaintiffs, Boston (2022)
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America® 2022 for work in:
- Personal Injury Litigation - Plaintiffs
- Advocate, American Board of Trial Advocates
- "The Best Lawyers in America," 2005-2019
- Boston College Law School 75th Anniversary Alumni Award, 2006
- "Massachusetts Super Lawyers," Law and Politics, 2004-2019
- "Top 100 Massachusetts Super Lawyers," 2004; 2008; 2010-2019
- "Top 50 Women Massachusetts Super Lawyers," 2004-2019
- "Top Women of Law Circle of Excellence Award," Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly, 2018
- Distinguished Service Award, American Association for Justice, 2010
- Wiedemann Wysocki Citation of Excellence, American Association for Justice, 2006; 2011
- "40 Under 40 Award," Boston Business Journal, 2002
- "Lawyers of the Year," Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly, 1999
- "Best Lawyers in Boston," Boston Magazine, 2002
- "100 Women of Distinction in Law and Public Service," The Massachusetts Association of Women Lawyers, 2005
Mismanagement of labor results in newborn's deathSettlement of medical malpractice case for parents of newborn who died several hours after her birth due to the mismanagement of her labor and delivery, resulting in severe anoxic injury.
Wrongful death in drunk driving incidentSettlement of wrongful death and personal injury cases arising out of drunk driving incident in which the front seat passenger was killed and the back seat passenger was severely injured. Settlement obtained against drunk driver and the tavern which overserved him in the two hours prior to the incident.
Wrongful death as a result of a car's detached tireSettlement obtained for the family of a 26 year-old man who was killed when a tire detached from a truck on the highway, striking the man’s windshield and causing fatal head injuries. The defendant truck driver was a student a trade school where the tire and wheel assembly had been improperly secured to the truck by the defendant truck driver and a fellow student due to the negligence and gross negligence of the school in failing to provide proper supervision and inspection of the work performed.
Failure to diagnose heart attackSettlement for family of a 47-year-old man who was improperly discharged from the hospital following failure to diagnose and treat evolving myocardial infarction. Second largest medical malpractice settlement reported in Massachusetts in 2017.
Defective consumer product - Child dies due to carbon monoxide poisoningSettlement of wrongful death case on behalf of a family who lost a child as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning. SUGARMAN attorneys brought product liability and general negligence claims alleging improper installation of a residential boiler, and a defect in the boiler which allowed it to create and introduce high concentrations of carbon monoxide into the home during foreseeable weather events, such as heavy snow storms.
Medical malpractice - Liver transplantsMedical malpractice jury verdict and settlement against Boston-area transplant surgeon for wrongful deaths as a result of negligent liver transplant surgery.
Assault to a woman in barJury verdict for personal injuries sustained when a woman was punched in the face by a professional hockey player in a Boston nightclub. The woman sustained bruising and psychological trauma.
Breast cancer - Misread mammogramMedical malpractice settlement against radiologist for failure to properly read a mammogram and diagnose breast cancer in a mother of four young children.
OB/GYN malpracticeMedical malpractice settlement against OB/GYN physician for failure to deliver baby after an abnormal biophysical profile in mother whose morbid obesity limited testing ability.
Laboratory malpractice - Failure to diagnose hyperbilirubinemia in newbornMedical malpractice settlement in lawsuit brought for bilateral hearing loss in newborn where lab test showed concerning/abnormal results, but the lab and physicians failed to act.
Improperly positioning patient during surgeryGynecological malpractice verdict against OB/GYN for negligence in improperly positioning patient during surgery resulting in neuropathy, and injury to her ureter. The verdict is the largest ever recorded in the District Courts of Massachusetts.
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.