Recognized since 2013
Corporate and Mergers and Acquisitions Law
Hospitality and Tourism Law
Partner of Carey and co-head of the Corporate / Mergers & Acquisitions / Insurance / Government Procurement Groups. His practice focuses on mergers and acquisitions, government procurement, corporate compliance, insurance, real estate and gaming law matters.
Activities and Memberships
- Member of the District of Columbia Bar.
- Chair of the International Law Section (2022-2023); chair-elect of the International Law Section (2021-2022); vice chair of the International Law Section (2020-21); revenue officer, Executive Committee, Administration Committee and Council member (2017-2018); membership officer, Executive Committee, Administration Committee and Council member (2015-2016); division chair at Finance Division, council member (2012-2015); senior advisor, chair, vice chair, Latin American & Caribbean Committee (2004-2014), American Bar Association (ABA).
- Training to Latin American subsidiaries of U.S. companies on FCPA and other compliance matters.Professor of the LL.M. in U.S. Business Law, Universidad de Chile and American University’s joint program (2006-2009).
- Active participant in the Phillip C. Jessup International Law Competition, as final-round judge in charge of selecting the Chilean Team (since 2007).
- Senior associate, Hogan & Hartson (currently Hogan Lovells), Washington D.C. (2001-2004).
- International associate, Simpson Thacher & Bartlett, New York (1999-2000).
- In-house counsel, Western Mining Corporation, Havanna, Cuba (1995-1996).
- Co-author of the Chilean chapter of the "Latin American Investigations Guide", Hogan Lovells (2019).
- Co-author of the Chilean chapter of “Foreign Investment in South America: A Comprehensive Guide to Infrastructure and the Legal Environment”, American Bar Association (2018).
- Co-author of “International Joint Ventures: A Guide for U.S. Lawyers”, American Bar Association (2013).
- Co-author of the Chilean chapter of Anti-Corruption Regulation, Getting the Deal Through (2011 to 2013).
- Author of “Doing Business in South America”, International Practitioner’s Deskbook Series, ABA Section of International Law (2011).
- Co-author of the Chilean chapter in “Joint Ventures in the International Arena”, amongst others, 2nd Edition, International Practitioner’s Deskbook Series, ABA Section of International Law (2010).
- Author and editor of several articles published in the book The International Lawyer, including papers on corporate issues, energy, natural resources, gaming law, labor law and other regulatory matters, ABA Section of International Law (since 2005).
- Co-author of “International Arbitration: Practical Considerations with a Latin American Focus”, The Journal of Structured and Project Finance (2003).
- Frequent speaker at international seminars on legal matters relevant to his practice, including corporate compliance, anti-corruption, etc.
- E-mail: email@example.com
- Lawyer Page: https://www.carey.cl/en/resume/marcos-rios/
- Isidora Goyenechea 2800, Piso 43
- Georgetown University, LL.M., graduated 2001
- Chile, Bar Association of Chile
- District of Columbia, The District of Columbia Bar
- Corporate and Mergers and Acquisitions Law
- Hospitality and Tourism Law
- Recognized in Government Contracts and Investigations, Who's Who Legal.
- Recognized in Thought Leaders Global Elite, Who's Who Legal.
- Recognized in Corporate and M&A, Anti-corruption, Investigations and Compliance, Insurance and Reinsurance and Trade, Latin Lawyer 250.
- Recognized as Leading Individual in Corporate and M&A; Insurance and Real Estate, Chambers Latin America.
- Recognized in Corporate and M&A, and Insurance, Best Lawyers.
- Recognized in Anti-Corruption & Compliance, LACCA.
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.