Recognized since 1999
Smithfield, North Carolina
Marcia Armstrong is a partner in the firm The Armstrong Law Firm, P.A., in Smithfield, North Carolina. She was admitted to practice in North Carolina in 1983 after receiving her bachelor’s degree in 1980 from Salem College and her J.D. degree from Wake Forest University in 1983. She has also served as an adjunct professor of law for the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill School of Law.
Ms. Armstrong’s practice is limited to family law. In 1989, she was certified by the North Carolina State Bar as a specialist in Family Law. She has been a fellow in the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers since 1993 and is a past president of the North Carolina Chapter. Ms. Armstrong is the State Bar Councilor for Judicial District 11B. She is a past president of the Johnston County Bar Association and the Eleventh Judicial District. She received the 2011 Sara H. Davis Excellence Award presented by the North Carolina State Bar Board of Legal Specialization. Ms. Armstrong was recognized in 2010 as a Citizen Lawyer by the North Carolina Bar Association and has served in the past on the Association’s Board of Governors and as chair of the Family Law Section. In 1997, she was awarded the Distinguished Service Award from the North Carolina Bar Association for her service to the Family Law Section. Ms. Armstrong received the Gwyneth B. Davis Award in 1995 from the North Carolina Association of Women Attorneys. Ms. Armstrong has served on the North Carolina State Bar Board of Continuing Legal Education. She has been listed as one of the “Super Lawyers” by Charlotte Magazine since 2006, “The Best Lawyers in America” since 1994 and is a member of the Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers.
Ms. Armstrong is certified as an arbitrator by the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers and as a Superior Court and Family Financial Mediator by the North Carolina Dispute Resolution Commission. She has served as an arbitrator and mediator in many domestic cases.
Ms. Armstrong has been a speaker and course planner at law schools and at continuing legal education programs sponsored by the North Carolina Bar Foundation. She has written and presented manuscripts on a wide range of topics including jurisdictional problems in interstate custody cases, intensive children’s issues, how to try a domestic case, strategies in handling child custody cases, alimony trial preparation, effect of reconciliation on separation agreements and property settlements, attorney fees provisions in agreements, tax consequences of equitable distribution, distribution factors in equitable distribution cases, classification of assets in equitable distribution cases, divisible property distribution, managing an equitable distribution case, arbitration, ethics and professionalism.
Ms. Armstrong has appeared in trial courts throughout eastern North Carolina and currently concentrates her practice in the areas of equitable distribution and support issues.
- 602 South Third Street
P.O. Box 27
Smithfield, NC 27577
- Wake Forest University, J.D., graduated 1983
- AAML - Past President of N.C. Chapter
- JCBA - Past President
- NC Advocates for Justice - Member
- NC Association of Women Attorneys - Member
- NC Bar Asociation's Family Law Section - Past Chair
- NC Bar Association Board of Governors - Former Member
- NC Bar Association's Family Law Section's Continuing Legal Education Committee - Member
- NC State Bar - Certified Family Law Specialist
- NC State Bar Board of Continuing Legal Education - Member
- Super Lawyers - Member
- Family Law, Raleigh (2012)
- Family Law
- NC State Bar Board of Legal Specialization
- Sara H. Davis Excellence Award
- NC Lawyers Weekly, Women of Justice Award
- N.C. Bar Association Distinguished Service Award
- N.C. Association of Women Attorneys Gwyneth B. Davis Award
- N.C. Bar Association Citizen Lawyer Award
- Recognized as a "Super Lawyer" by Charlotte Magazine
- Recognized in "Best Lawyers in America" by Martindale-Hubbell
- Real Estate Law
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.