Marc has been recognized by his peers as a Best Lawyers in America for his outstanding work in Employment and Labor Law. He regularly represents public and private employers in all areas of labor and employment relations, including all facets of contract negotiations, litigation, mediation, conflict resolution procedures, disciplinary matters (arbitration and civil service), the daily administration of internal policies, state and federal laws, and collective bargaining agreements. He also serves as lead counsel before administrative agencies pertaining to personnel matters.
From Clerk to Partner
Marc began his career as a law clerk to the Honorable T. Eugene Burts, Administrative Law Judge, U.S. Department of Labor before joining Downes Fishel Hass Kim in 1988. Later he served as adjunct professor of Employment Law at Wittenberg University providing instruction on critical topics such as human resources, FLSA, unlawful discrimination and harassment, civil rights, ethics, FMLA, ADA and civil service law.
This prestigious background has led to frequent requests for Marc to lecture on personnel and human resource issues including discipline, collective bargaining, employment discrimination and the Fair Labor Standards Act.
Excelling in Large and Small Employment Issues
Comfortable in the courtroom as well as the classroom, Marc believes his greatest contribution to clients comes from a proactive approach to employee relations and local governmental law. This means attending to small details such as ensuring proper preparation of employee handbooks and drug testing policies. He also assists clients with in-house education so their staff is up to speed on legal changes as they occur.
Marc is highly regarded for his ability to handle tough situations beyond his primary practice area.
On the Personal Side
Marc is the proud father of two children and serves on a number of community non-profit boards. He is a board member and current past president of the Jewish Community Center of Greater Columbus.
- The Ohio Public Employers Labor Relations Association (OHPELRA)
- Former Member of Board of Directors of OHPELRA
- National Public Employers Labor Relations Association (NPELRA)
- The Ohio State Bar Association
- Member of Labor and Employment Section and Litigation Section
- The Columbus Bar Association
- Member of Labor Law Committee
Presentations and Publications
Marc regularly contributes articles to various publications including those of the Ohio State Bar Association, the County Commissioners Association of Ohio, the Ohio Municipal League and the Ohio Public Employers’ Labor Relations Association.
- Labor and Employment Law
- Civil Litigation
- Government Law
- The Ohio State University - Moritz College of Law - JD
- Cleveland State University – BA in Political Science (Summa Cum Laude)
- Supreme Court of Ohio
- United States Court of Appeals, Sixth District
- United States District Court, Southern District of Ohio
- United States District Court, Northern District of Ohio