Maciej Gawronski is an authority in data protection, information technology, cloud computing, cybersecurity, intellectual property and business law.
Maciej was a consultant to the Art. 29 Working Party on Draft Ad hoc contractual clauses “EU data processor to non-EU sub-processor” (WP 214) and member of the the European Commission Expert Group on Cloud Computing Contracts (co-leader of data portability stream).
Maciej was responsible for a creating a contract for the largest IT implementation in the Central and Eastern Europe financial sector of and maintaining it throught the full life-cycle of the project, as well as for legal aspects of hundreds of other IT projects.
Maciej represented clients in Bilateral Investment Treaty (BITs) Arbitration proceedings , before the Court of Arbitration at the International Chamber of Commerce in Paris, Court of Arbitration for Sport in Lausanne, the Polish Supreme Court, the Polish Supreme Administrative Court, the Polish Public Procurement Appeal Chamber, the Court of Arbitration at the Polish Chamber of Commerce as well as before the Polish common courts – in cases worth from millions to billions of Euro.
In 2014, working on Draft Ad hoc contractual clauses “EU data processor to non-EU sub-processor” (WP 214) Maciej proposed to the European Commission a rule of non-EU personal data sub-processors liability which eventually became a general rule of all processors’ liability contained in Article 82.1 of the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) as well as the rule of personal data portability which eventually became Article 20 of the GDPR. Maciej consulted also rules of sub-processing which eventually became Article 28.2 and 28.4 of the GDPR.
Maciej edited and co-authored content of Wolters Kluwer’s information service on personal data protection – LEX Ochrona Danych Osobowych (www.ochrona-danych-osobowych.lex.pl) and the bestselling “Guide to the GDPR” (April 2018, in Polish).
Maciej regularly publishes and lectures on the GDPR, data protection, cloud computing, financial sector regulation, cybersecurity, intellectual property.
Prior to creating Gawronski & Partners Maciej established and managed the Polish branch of Bird & Bird – UK headquatered intellectual property and IT international law firm.
Maciej has been named:
- Recommended in IT 2013-2018 and in Intellectual Property 2018 by BestLawyers.com
- Top Four Polish Technology Media & Telecommunications Law Expert by Chambers Europe 2017, 2018
- Top Three Polish Telecommunications Law Expert by Rzeczpospolita Ranking of Law Firms 2018
- Top Three Polish Technology Media & Telecommunications Law Expert by Rzeczpospolita Ranking of Law Firms 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
- Recommended in Technology, Media & Telecommunications by Guide to the World’s Leading Lawyers 2016
- Recommended in Technology, Media & Telecommunications by Legal 500 2014, 2015, 2016
- Recommended in Patent Disputes in Life Sciences by Who’s Who Legal 100 2016
Maciej's experience includes corporate consulting, regulatory consulting, dispute and transaction counseling concerning company law, contracts, technology, mergers and acquisitions, investment ventures.
Builder of a Top Ten Polish Law Firm by revenue according to Rzeczpospolita Daily Ranking of Law Firms 2016 and 2017