Recognized since 2009
Columbia, South Carolina
Administrative / Regulatory Law
Health Care Law
M. Elizabeth (Liz) Crum practices extensively in the areas of health care and government procurement. She has significant experience in the South Carolina Administrative Law Court, federal and state regulatory areas of health care, including: Certificate of Need, health care facility and professional licensure and certification, Stark and Anti-kickback and HIPAA matters.
In state and local government procurement, Liz regularly represents private and public clients in matters dealing with the state Consolidated Procurement Code and assists local government in conducting procurements, including drafting local procurement policies. Liz also practices before the South Carolina appellate courts.
Liz is a member of the South Carolina and American Bars and the American Health Lawyers Association. She has served previously as Chair of the SC Bar Convention and of the Health Law Committee. She serves as a member of the University of South Carolina Development Foundation, serving as its Vice Chair.
Prior to joining the firm, Liz served as an Assistant Attorney General for South Carolina in the Special Litigation Section and as Staff Counsel and Director of Research for the South Carolina House of Representatives Judiciary Committee, also representing the House in its litigation matters.
Liz has previously served as: chairman of the Richland County Election and Voter Registration Board; President of the South Carolina Woman Lawyer’s Association (SCWLA); chairman of the Governor’s Juvenile Justice Advisory Committee; a member of the State Board of Architectural Examiners. Liz received the Athena Award from the Greater Columbia Chamber of Commerce in 1992, which recognized her efforts to encourage and celebrate the achievements of women in business and the professions. In 2013, SCWLA presented Liz with the Jean Galloway Bissell Award given to a person for his/her distinguished and noteworthy service to the public and the legal profession; achievement of professional excellence; and participation in activities that have paved the way to success for women lawyers on the national, state or local level.
- 1221 Main Street, Suite 1800
P.O. Box 11390
Columbia, SC 29211
- University of South Carolina, J.D., graduated 1973
- Agnes Scott College, BA, graduated 1970
- South Carolina, South Carolina Bar,
- Administrative Law Court Rules Committee - Member
- American Bar Association - Member
- American Health Lawyers Association - Member
- SC Bar Convention, Health Law Committee - Chair
- South Carolina Administrative and Regulatory Law Association (SCAARLA) - Member
- South Carolina Bar - Former Member, 5th Circuit of the House of Delegates
- South Carolina Bar - Member, Bar Convention Committee
- South Carolina Judicial Council - Member
- South Carolina Women Lawyers Association - Past President
- Supreme Court Task Force on Public Access to Court Records - Member
- Universtiy of South Carolina Development Foundation - Secretary
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. District Court – South Carolina
Named "Lawyer of the Year" by Best Lawyers® for:
- Health Care Law, Columbia, SC (2017)
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America® 2022 for work in:
- Health Care Law
- Administrative / Regulatory Law
- Government Relations
- Named, The Best Lawyers in America "Lawyer of the Year," Health Care Law - Columbia (2017)
- Named, The Best Lawyers in America (2009-2020)
- Named, Legal Elite of the Midlands, Columbia Business Monthly (2015-2016, 2018)
- Awarded, Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Peer Review Rating
- Listed, South Carolina Super Lawyers, Health Care (2011-2018) "Top 25" (2014)
- Recipient, Jean Galloway Bissell Award, South Carolina Women Lawyers Association (2013)
- Recipient, Leadership in Law Award, South Carolina Lawyers Weekly (2012)
- Graduate, Leadership South Carolina (1995)
- Recipient, Athena Award, Greater Columbia Chamber of Commerce (1992)
- Named, Outstanding Young Women of America (1978)
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.