- Lead counsel in the defense of the University of Washington in the lawsuit brought by its former head football coach, Rick Neuheisel, after he was fired by the University. Following a six-week jury trial, this case was resolved favorably for our client. Of Lou's cross-examination of Neuheisel, one columnist wrote, "Facing Peterson in a courtroom is probably a lot like standing on a beach in a hurricane while wearing hip waders. His questions were a jackhammer blast...." Les Carpenter, Seattle Times, February 15, 2005.
- Lead counsel in the defense of Mitsubishi Corporation in an Alaska antitrust class action arising out of the Bristol Bay salmon industry. Plaintiffs alleged compensatory and punitive damages totaling $975 million; we negotiated a favorable settlement prior to trial.
- Lead counsel for Weyerhaeuser Company in trial and appellate proceedings in Atlanta, Georgia. Plaintiff sought damages in excess of $850 million arising out of the carve-out of Weyerhaeuser's private label diaper division into a publicly-held company. After a several week trial, the bankruptcy court entered a $470 million judgment for plaintiff. Following review by the federal district court, this judgment was reversed, and a judgment dismissing all claims was entered in favor of Weyerhaeuser. Weyerhaeuser's victory was affirmed by the 11th Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Lead counsel on behalf of plaintiff Horizon Air in a trademark infringement lawsuit filed against Frontier Horizon Airlines. Following federal court hearings, we obtained preliminary injunctive relief against Frontier.
- Co-counsel in the defense of The New England Mutual Life Insurance Company and Copley Real Estate Advisors in lawsuits brought by the Washington State Investment Board, which asserted claims totaling $1.2 billion for securities fraud and breach of fiduciary duties. We resolved this matter before trial.
- Represents securities firms -- including Merrill Lynch, Smith Barney, CIBC Oppenheimer, and Edward D. Jones -- in a wide variety of securities cases before state and federal courts and before arbitration tribunals.
- Represents other law firms in a range of complex and highly sensitive matters.
- Has served as a mediator or arbitrator in hundreds of cases.
I am a classically trained pianist, but these days I am more likely to play (for my own amusement) Cole Porter than Rachmaninoff. I dabble in foreign languages. My golf game needs work.