- Lead counsel in the defense of the University of Washington in the lawsuit brought by its former head football coach, Rick Neuheisel, after he was fired by the University. Following a six-week jury trial, this case was resolved favorably for our client. Of Lou's cross-examination of Neuheisel, one columnist wrote, "Facing Peterson in a courtroom is probably a lot like standing on a beach in a hurricane while wearing hip waders. His questions were a jackhammer blast...." Les Carpenter, Seattle Times, February 15, 2005.
- Lead counsel in the defense of Mitsubishi Corporation in an Alaska antitrust class action arising out of the Bristol Bay salmon industry. Plaintiffs alleged compensatory and punitive damages totaling $975 million; we negotiated a favorable settlement prior to trial.
- Lead counsel for Weyerhaeuser Company in trial and appellate proceedings in Atlanta, Georgia. Plaintiff sought damages in excess of $850 million arising out of the carve-out of Weyerhaeuser's private label diaper division into a publicly-held company. After a several week trial, the bankruptcy court entered a $470 million judgment for plaintiff. Following review by the federal district court, this judgment was reversed, and a judgment dismissing all claims was entered in favor of Weyerhaeuser. Weyerhaeuser's victory was affirmed by the 11th Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Lead counsel on behalf of plaintiff Horizon Air in a trademark infringement lawsuit filed against Frontier Horizon Airlines. Following federal court hearings, we obtained preliminary injunctive relief against Frontier.
- Co-counsel in the defense of The New England Mutual Life Insurance Company and Copley Real Estate Advisors in lawsuits brought by the Washington State Investment Board, which asserted claims totaling $1.2 billion for securities fraud and breach of fiduciary duties. We resolved this matter before trial.
- Represents securities firms -- including Merrill Lynch, Smith Barney, CIBC Oppenheimer, and Edward D. Jones -- in a wide variety of securities cases before state and federal courts and before arbitration tribunals.
- Represents other law firms in a range of complex and highly sensitive matters.
- Has served as a mediator or arbitrator in hundreds of cases.
Professional and Community
King County Bar Association (Judicial Conferencing Committee, 1992 - 2001, Co-Chair, 2000 - 2001; Judicial Screening Committee, 1988-1993, Chair, 1990-1992; Young Lawyers Section, Judicial Selection and Discipline Committee, 1977-1981, Legislation Committee, 1975-1977, Chair, 1976-1977.)
Washington State Bar Association (Litigation Section) Judicial Recommendations Committee, 1989-1992.
American Bar Association (Antitrust, Litigation, and Business Law Sections)
ADR Roundtable, Founding Member Broadmoor Golf Club, Board of Trustees, 2004 - 2007.
Lakeside School, Board of Trustees, 1995 – 2004.
Woodland Park Zoological Society, Board of Directors, 1993-1997.
Seattle International Music Festival, Board of Directors, 1992-1996.
Discovery Park Citizens Advisory Committee, Treasurer, 1974-1978.
Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers
Repeatedly recognized as a "Super Lawyer" by Washington Law & Politics and Thomson Rueters' Washington Super Lawyers, most recently in 2012 Ranked "First" in the year 2000 Ranked in the "Top Ten" in years 2000-2005, 2007, and 2009-2012
Repeatedly listed in the Best Lawyers in America
Recognized as one of "Seattle's Top Lawyers" by Seattle Magazine
Recognized as one of "Seattle's Best Business Lawyers" by Seattle Business Monthly
J.D., Harvard Law School, magna cum laude, 1974
Law clerk to The Honorable Morell Sharp, United States District Court, Seattle, 1974-1975
A.B., Harvard College, magna cum laude, 1971. Phi Beta Kappa
Washington State Supreme Court
U.S. Supreme Court
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
U.S. District Court for the Western and Eastern Districts of Washington
I am a classically trained pianist, but these days I am more likely to play (for my own amusement) Cole Porter than Rachmaninoff. I dabble in foreign languages. My golf game needs work.