Recognized since 2015
“It is a tremendous honor being voted the 2020 Minneapolis Lawyer of the Year in family law. I am proud to be recognized as an effective advocate who has earned the respect of my peers. My commitment to professionalism, integrity, and diligence through serving my clients and the profession is unwavering.”
People are often anxious and distraught as they anticipate the end of a relationship. My role is to be objective and provide skillful legal counsel through what can be a difficult transition. I care about your long-term needs and will do my best to safeguard your best interests with purposeful and compassionate guidance.
I represent a wide range of high-net-worth clients including business executives, professional athletes, and entertainers. A long-standing member of the firm’s management committee with 18 years of family law experience, I bring strategic knowhow to cases involving complex financial issues, including:
- business valuations
- tax implications
- executive compensation
- intellectual property
- non-marital property
My primary focus is on settlement; very few cases cannot settle on reasonable terms, but they require a skilled negotiator. Combining business savvy with my extensive knowledge of family law and tax matters, I am able to deftly develop creative settlement solutions in quick-paced negotiations. As a recognized leader in alternative dispute resolution (ADR), I strive to get you there. If that proves unattainable, I will zealously and strategically advocate for you in court.
In addition to counsel during a marriage dissolution, my clients depend on me to craft premarital and postnuptial agreements. I am forward-looking and will work with you to create a legal contract that protects your premarital assets and will meet your long-term needs.
Last but not least, I strive to help you minimize the impact of divorce on your family. If young children are involved, I will help tailor a parenting plan that meets your needs and the needs of your children.
See my full bio here.
Contact & Links
- Lawyer Page: http://www.hensonefron.com/attorneys/lisa-t-spencer/
- 225 South Sixth Street, Suite 1600
Minneapolis, MN 55402
- William Mitchell College of Law , J.D., graduated 2001
- University of Minnesota - Twin Cities, B.S., graduated 1989
- Minnesota, Minnesota
- 4th District Ethics Committee - Chair, 2018-2021; Co-Chair, 2016-2018; Investigative Member, 2007–2016
- AAML Minnesota Chapter Board of Directors - Former President; President, 2019-2021; Vice President of External Relations, 2018-2019
- AAML Minnesota Chapter Divorce Camp - Committee Member 2019-present; Chair, 2018; Co-Chair, 2016-2017 (an annual continuing education conference helping shape legislative changes in family law)
- American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers - Fellow
- Hennepin County Bar Association - Family Law Section, Executive Committee Co-Chair 2009–2011; Officer 2007–2009
- Hennepin County Unbundled Services Steering Committee - Member, 2012-Present
- Henson Efron - President 2020-present; Management Committee, 2012-present
- Minnesota State Bar Association - Task Force on the Rights of Unmarried Couples, Family Law Section Subcommittee Chair, 2009
- Minnesota State Bar Association - Diversity Committee Member, 2010–2012
- Minnesota State Bar Association - Family Law and Alternative Dispute Resolution sections Member, 2001-Present
- United States District Court for the District of Minnesota
Named "Lawyer of the Year" by Best Lawyers® for:
- Family Law, Minneapolis (2020)
- Family Law, Minneapolis (2018)
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America® 2022 for work in:
- Family Law
- 2020 Women in Business Honoree, Minneapolis/St. Paul Business Journal
- 2020 Notable Women in Law Honoree, Twin Cities Business
- Minnesota Super Lawyers®, 2012–2021
- Ranked by Chambers and Partners in the High Net Worth Guide 2021
- Top 50: Women Minnesota Super Lawyers®, 2014–2021
- Top 100: Women Minnesota Super Lawyers®, 2014–2021
- Minnesota Super Lawyers–Rising Stars®, 2005–2011
- Executive Editor, William Mitchell Law Review
- Harry S. Sieben Award for Academic Excellence
- AV® Preeminent peer review rated by Martindale-Hubbell
News & Links
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.