Recognized since 2018
Lisa Kantor is a founding partner of Kantor & Kantor LLP. Lisa has focused her law practice on representing individuals whose health benefits have been denied for treatment of physical or mental illnesses. Since 2007, Lisa has been a nationwide advocate for patients suffering eating disorders and litigating denials of medically necessary treatment for eating disorders. Through Lisa’s dedication to her clients, Kantor & Kantor has become the only law firm in the country with a distinct health law practice staffed with attorneys experienced in the specific needs of clients who have been denied benefits for eating disorder treatment.
Attorney Lisa Kantor can help with:Health Insurance ClaimsLife Insurance ClaimsERISA ClaimsBad Faith Insurance ClaimsUnmatched
Lisa’s work includes federal lawsuits and administrative appeals to health plans that refuse coverage or discontinue benefits for treatment thereby forcing patients to be prematurely discharged. She handles multiple class actions regarding the systematic denials of mental health claims by insurance companies.Lisa is an experienced appellate attorney and regularly argues appeals to the circuit court of appeals.
In 2007, Lisa achieved the first published decision in California in which the court applied the state's mental health parity law to beneficiaries who sought treatment outside California. In 2012, Lisa obtained the first federal appellate court ruling that health plans in California must pay for all medically necessary treatment for severe mental illnesses, including residential treatment.
In 2014, Lisa obtained a parallel state court appellate court ruling, extending coverage for all medically necessary treatment for severe mental illnesses to all residents of California.Lisa’s advocacy extends to the legislature where she challenges inappropriate guidelines used to deny treatment and advocates for laws ensuring that health plans provide benefits for the medically necessary treatment of all individuals suffering from severe mental illnesses.
- Member, Board of Directors, Eating Disorder Coalition for Research, Policy and ActionMember
- Board of Directors, International Association of Eating Disorders Professionals
- Recognized in Best Lawyers since 2018
- Super Lawyers Award since 2009
- Los Angeles Daily Journal "Top Women Lawyers" 2009 and 2012 California Women Lawyers 2010-11 "Women of Distinction" award
- San Francisco Recorder "Lawyer of the Year" award 2012
- International Association of Eating Disorders Professionals Foundation 2012 "Special Recognition" award
- Super Lawyers "Top Women Attorneys in Southern California" 2012 and 2013
- Project Heal and Reasons Eating Disorder Center "Eating Disorder Advocate of the Year" 2016
- 19839 Nordhoff Street
Northridge, CA 91324
- Gender: Female
- University of Virginia, J.D., graduated 1983
- Union College (Schenectady), Bachelor of Arts, Political Science and Economics, graduated 1980
- California, 1983
- U.S. Supreme Court
- California Supreme Court
- Temporary Emergency Court of Appeals
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California
- Insurance Law
- Employee Benefits (ERISA) Law
- Health Care Law
- Litigation - ERISA
- Litigation - Insurance
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.