Lindsay Ann Histrop
Recognized since 2006
Trusts and Estates
As a partner in the Tax and Estate Planning Group, Lindsay practises in the area of personal tax and estate planning, estate administration and estate litigation. She regularly advises her clients on a wide range of matters including wills, trusts, domestic contracts, powers of attorney, mental incompetency proceedings, court audits, estate and trust taxation and post-mortem estate planning.
Lindsay has lectured extensively on tax and estate planning at the Canada Tax Conference, the Canadian Bar Association, the Law Society of Upper Canada, Insight seminars and Federating Press, among others. The author of Estate Planning Precedents, A Solicitor’s Manual, published by Carswell Professional Publishing, she has also written articles for the Canadian Tax Journal, Tax Management International Journal and the Ontario Bar Admission Course. Recognized as a leading lawyer in the area of estate planning and personal tax planning, Lindsay appears in the Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory and has also been profiled as a noteworthy Canadian in Who’s Who in Canada.
- Handling a complex post mortem variation of trusts under a will, deferring taxes of over $2.5 million, thereby ensuring the continued viability of the deceased’s highly successful business.
- Negotiating a settlement, on behalf of the estate, in respect of a contentious will interpretation matter in which there were over 700 potential beneficiaries, saving the estate and its beneficiaries thousands of dollars in legal costs.
- Assisting a terminally ill client in structuring her estate plan to benefit her family and favoured charities, preserving the estate for the beneficiaries by eliminating substantial income and probate taxes on death.
- Resolving a family dispute over the division of the deceased’s real estate holdings and other assets on death, maintaining both family ownership and family harmony.
- Assisting executors in the efficient management of a business and its 65 employees following the sudden death of the owner-manager, and successfully achieving the sale of the business within 6 months of the owner’s death.
Contact & Links
- Lawyer Page: https://www.grllp.com/profile/lindsayannhistrop
- Bay Adelaide Centre, East Tower
22 Adelaide Street West, Suite 3600
Toronto, ON M5H 4E3
25 The Best Lawyers in Canada™ awards
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in Canada™ 2023 for work in:
- Trusts and Estates
- Charities/Not For Profit
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.