Linda S. Woolf
- University of Baltimore, School of Law, J.D., graduated 1985
- University of Baltimore, B.A., graduated 1982
- Maryland, Maryland State Bar Association
- Bar Association of Baltimore City - Member
- Center Stage - (Board of Trustees, 2009 - Present)
- Federal Bar Association – Maryland Chapter - (Board of Governors 2009 - 2011)
- Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel - (2000 to present, 2010-2011 Chair, ME&T Section, 2006, Vice Chair, Commercial Litigation Section, Member of Class Action, Reinsurance, Excess and Surplus Lines Section, Insurance Coverage Section and Membership Development & Retention Committee)
- Maryland Defense Counsel, Inc. - (Past Member of Executive Board; Past Co-Chair Appellate Committee, 2002-2003; Past Co-Chair; Judicial Selections Committee; Past Editor of The Defense Line)
- Maryland Legal Aid Bureau's Equal Justice Council - (Board Member 2006 - Present)
- Maryland State Bar Association - Member
- Network of Trial Law Firms - (Chair 1999 to 2000; Program Chair, 1998, Member Executive Committee, 1997 to present)
- The Defense Research Institute - (Insurance Law and Employment Law Committees)
Named "Lawyer of the Year" by Best Lawyers for:
- Mass Tort Litigation / Class Actions - Defendants, Baltimore (2016)
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America for work in:
- Bet-the-Company Litigation
- Commercial Litigation
- Mass Tort Litigation / Class Actions - Defendants
- Product Liability Litigation - Defendants
- The Daily Record - Maryland's Top 100 Women (2007, 2012)
- Best Lawyers in America, "Bet-the-Company" Litigation Award (2010 - 2013)
- Best Lawyers in America, Commercial Litigation (2009 - 2013)
- Best Lawyers in America, Mass Tort Litigation/Class Action - Defendants (2012-2013)
- Best Lawyers in America, Product Liability Litigation - Defendants (2013)
- Baltimore Smart CEO, Baltimore Legal Elite for Business Law (2009)
- Maryland Super Lawyer, Top 50 Super Lawyers in Maryland (2009, 2010)
- Maryland Super Lawyer, Top 50 Female (2013)
- Maryland Super Lawyer, Top 25 Women and Leader in Business Litigation (2007 - 2010)
- Super Lawyer Corporate Counsel, Top Attorney in Business Litigation (2008)
- The Daily Record - Leadership in Law Award (2006)
Goodell, DeVries, Leech & Dann, LLP
One South Street, 20th Floor
Baltimore, MD 21202
2 Office Locations
in 1 Country
Attorney Case History
Industrial Enterprises, Inc. v. Penn America Insurance Company
Represented Penn America Insurance Company in declaratory judgment action to determine insurer’s liability for expenses incurred by insured in CERCLA enforcement action. Acted as lead counsel throughout case and at trial. Liability of insurer determined as a matter of law prior to trial, which proceeded on damages. Obtained verdict limiting damages claim subject set-off. Liability ruling reversed on appeal.
Savings First Mortgage v. National Union Fire Insurance
Represented National Union Fire Insurance in coverage litigation arising out of claims against its insured asserted in a class action brought by 2,200 borrowers alleging illegal lending practices. In addition to litigating the coverage issues, negotiated a settlement of the underlying class action within agreed-upon coverage limits. Represented insurer throughout negotiation of Memorandum of Understanding, final Settlement Agreement, approval hearings and administration of class settlement. Recovered reverter amount for the benefit of National Union.
Klopman v. Zurich American Insurance Company of Illinois
Represented major insurer in lost policy litigation. Obtained summary judgment in United States District Court which was affirmed by the Fourth Circuit.
Mayor & City Council of Baltimore v. Utica Mutual Ins. Co., et al.
Represented primary and umbrella insurers in coverage litigation brought by municipality to recover damages allegedly incurred as a result of asbestos-containing building materials in public buildings. Obtained summary judgment in favor of insurers on basis of products risk exclusion which was affirmed on appeal in a case of first impression in Maryland.
CSX Transportation, Inc. v. Continental Ins. Co., Inc., 680 A.2d 1082 (Md. 1996).
Represented national insurer in major declaratory judgment action concerning coverage for occupational noise-induced hearing loss claims brought by 30,000 former and present railroad workers, member of lead trial team for a group of 19 insurers, obtaining a jury verdict for the insurers which was affirmed by the Court of Appeals of Maryland.
Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company v. Lafarge Corp., et al.
Represented Travelers Indemnity Company in protracted coverage litigation arising from the premature deterioration of concrete railroad cross-ties throughout the northeast corridor, successfully defending claims of statutory and common law bad faith and obtaining a jury verdict which substantially reduced the policyholders’ claimed losses.