Recognized since 2014
London, United Kingdom
LEONARD NG is co-head of the EU Financial Services Regulatory group and a member of the firm’s Investment Funds, Advisers and Derivatives and Banking and Financial Services practices. Based in Sidley’s London office, Leonard advises a wide range of financial institutions on UK and EU financial services regulatory issues and has particular experience in advising investment fund managers and other clients on operating under the post-financial crisis regulatory framework. Leonard is a member of the UK Financial Conduct Authority’s (FCA) Legal Experts Group on the AIFM Directive. He is also a past member of the Board of the Managed Funds Association (MFA), the global trade association for hedge funds and is a frequent speaker at industry conferences.
Recent representative matters include:
- Advising a global investment funds trade association, investment managers and other financial institutions on the implications of, and strategies for dealing with, EU legislation such as the AIFMD, MiFID / MiFID II, EMIR, REMIT, the Short Selling Regulation, Market Abuse Directive / MAD II and the shadow banking regulatory framework.
- Advising some of the world’s largest alternative investment fund managers on operating under the new AIFMD regulatory framework.
- Advising a global private equity fund manager on the establishment of a new European investment management and advisory platform.
- Establishing a number of investment managers and securities firms / broker-dealers in the UK under the UK Financial Services and Markets Act 2000.
- Advising one of Europe’s largest banking groups on the securitization risk retention rules under the EU CRD IV / CRR regulatory capital framework.
In addition to UK and EU regulatory matters, Leonard has extensive experience in advising international clients on the Basel regulatory capital framework, as well as assisting EU-based clients assess the implications of U.S. legislation such as the Dodd Frank Act, in conjunction with colleagues in Sidley’s U.S. offices.
Leonard has received acknowledgement from numerous industry ranking guides:
- Chambers UK 2017 – Ranked as a Leading Individual in Financial Services: Non-contentious Regulatory. He is described by clients as a “consistent source of excellent, up-to-date insight on financial regulatory developments and potential industry impact” as well as being “very knowledgeable about the EU regulatory landscape, very commercial in his advice and very client-friendly.” A previous edition of Chambers UK noted his ability to advise on non-contentious matters in the area of Financial Services—UK-wide. Sources told that publication that Leonard “is incredibly responsive, has great attention to detail, and is very clear and concise in his answers and his advice.”
- IFLR1000 2017 – Recognized as a Leading Lawyer. In a previous edition, sources told the publication: “I would say that Leonard is a machine but that wouldn’t be fair because doing so would ignore his personal touch and agreeable demeanour. It’s a pleasure working with someone who not only knows the way forward every time but also happens to be a really good guy.”
- The Legal 500 UK 2016 recommends Leonard for his “robust and insightful advice,” with clients describing him as “very commercial” and “one of the most knowledgeable and technically able regulatory lawyers in the market.”
- Best Lawyers 2017 – Named in the area of Financial Services.
- Who's Who Legal 2017 – Recognized for Private Funds and Banking.
Leonard has also been interviewed widely for his thought leadership, including in such national publications as the Financial Times, Wall Street Journal and New York Times’ Dealbook. He has also been featured in numerous industry outlets, including Bloomberg Briefs, HFMWeek, Financial News, Private Equity News, Institutional Investor Magazine and Global Risk Regulator.
- E-mail: email@example.com
- Lawyer Page: https://www.sidley.com/en/people/n/ng-leonard
- 70 Saint Mary Axe
London EC3A 8BE
- University of Chicago, LL.M, graduated 1997
- United Kingdom, Supreme Court of England and Wales
- Managed Funds Association - Board Member (2014-2016)
17 The Best Lawyers in America® awards
1 Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch® in America award
- Financial Services
- Investment Funds
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.