Leighton Yuen concentrates in real estate development and business law. His experience includes real estate and commercial transactions, commercial, resort and residential developments, financing arrangements, and commercial leasing. Examples of his work include:
- Transactional Work: Represents sellers’, buyers’ and developers’ interests in various sale, development and leasing transactions involving commercial properties and development transactions throughout Hawai‘i. Representative clients include Waikoloa Land Company, The MacNaughton Group, Castle & Cooke, Kukui‘ula Development Co. and Kaneohe Ranch. In 2012, Mr. Yuen served as lead Hawai‘i counsel for the sale of the Island of Lana‘i. In 2013 Mr. Yuen served as lead Hawai‘i counsel for the purchase of Tesoro Hawaii by Par Petroleum and as lead real estate counsel for the sale by Kaneohe Ranch of its Hawai‘i real estate holdings.
- Resort Development and Operation: Represents Waikoloa Land Company in matters relating to the development, marketing and operation of Waikoloa Beach Resort. Experience includes resort and sales documentation for Castle & Cooke Resorts, Kukui‘ula Development Co., and Kohanaiki Shores.
- Shopping Center Developments: Represents developers’ and owners’ interests with respect to Kona Commons and Kapolei Commons Projects. Previous work includes development of the Waikele Commercial Center, Guam Premium Outlet Center, Bougainville Industrial Park Costco Project, KMart Kauai, and KMart Maui.
- Residential Subdivisions and Offerings: Prepares subdivision documentation for master planned residential communities, including Restrictive Covenants, Homeowners Association Documents, Sales Documents and Offering Documents. Representative projects include Manele Bay and Puulani Ridge Projects on Lana‘i, Kukui‘ula Development on Kauai, and Hualalai Resort, Kohanaiki Shores, and Waikoloa Beach Resort on the Island of Hawai‘i.
- Financing: Represents borrower and lender interests in real estate and business based loans and credit facilities for various projects. Representative projects and clients include First Hawaiian Bank. Guam Premium Outlet Center, Waikele Commercial Center, Waikoloa Beach Resort, and Parker Ranch. Experience also includes commercial loan documentation of Hawai‘i banks.
Since 2005, Mr. Yuen has been recognized by Best Lawyers and was named 2011 Honolulu Best Lawyers Real Estate Lawyer of the Year. Mr. Yuen has also been recognized by Chambers USA as one of the leading real estate attorneys in Hawai‘i since 2005.
Mr. Yuen was born and raised in Honolulu, Hawai‘i, and graduated from Punahou School in 1976. At Berkeley, Mr. Yuen majored in business administration, with an emphasis in accounting and applied economics.