Leanne practises exclusively in the area of restructuring and insolvency, including workouts, refinancing, receiverships, bankruptcies and the enforcement of creditors' rights generally. Leanne regularly represents chartered banks and financial institutions across a broad spectrum of industries. She also represents court-appointed officers such as trustees in bankruptcy, receivers and CCAA monitors.
- Counsel to JTI-Macdonald Corp., one of the largest tobacco companies in Canada, in its proceedings under the CCAA with a goal to achieve a global resolution of the myriad of litigation claims against it exceeding $500 billion. The two other largest tobacco companies have also filed for CCAA protection resulting in unprecedented industry-wide proceedings.
- Counsel to BDC Capital Inc. in the Quebec CCAA restructuring of BioAmber Inc., a sustainable chemicals company.
- Counsel to Whirlpool Canada in the CCAA restructuring of Sears Canada.
- Counsel to BDO Canada Limited as court-appointed receiver of Emmanuel Village Residence Inc.
- Represented Endurance Energy Ltd. in connection with its proceedings under the CCAA, an Alberta-based oil and gas production company, which successfully sold its assets as part of its restructuring efforts.
- Counsel to the court-appointed Monitor of the Mobilicity group of companies.
- Advisor to U.S. Steel in the restructuring of U.S. Steel Canada.
- Counsel to the Syndicate of Lenders to Allen-Vanguard Corporation, a publicly-traded international military defence corporation, during its restructuring through the CCAA and recapitalization as a private entity.
- Counsel to Flextronics Corporation, Nortel’s largest supplier and significant creditor, during the CCAA restructuring of Nortel.
- Represents Hollinger and certain of its subsidiaries in its CCAA filing in Canada.
- Advisor to the court-appointed Monitor of AbitibiBowater.
- Represented the Monitor of a retailer, Athletes World, in its restructuring and successful Plan of Arrangement under the CCAA.
- Counsel to the Monitor of a tobacco company, JTI Macdonald, until its successful emergence from the CCAA.
- Acted as counsel to the court-appointed Interim Receiver of Mosaic Group, a cross-border marketing and technology company, during the liquidation of its assets for the benefit of its creditors.
- Represented the largest secured creditor of Canada 3000 during the liquidation of the airline’s assets.
- Acted as counsel to the largest unsecured creditor of Irwin Toy during the liquidation of its assets.
Leanne is a Director of the Toronto Chapter of the Turnaround Management Association and is the co-chair of several committees. She was invited to join the Insolvency Institute of Canada and is a former executive of the Ontario Bar Association (Insolvency Law Section). Leanne is a member of numerous other restructuring and business related professional organizations.
PUBLICATIONS & PRESENTATIONS
Leanne is a regular speaker and writer on insolvency related topics at conferences and continuing professional development programs.
- Co-author of the Canadian Chapter of the International Comparative Legal Guide to: Corporate Recovery & Insolvency (2016-2018)
- Co-author of the Canadian Chapter of the Lexology Navigator for Insolvency & Restructuring (2017 & 2018)
- Contributor to the Lexis Practice Advisor Canada for Insolvency & Restructuring
- Panelist at the TMA Symposium on Government Intervention in Insolvency Filings (2017)
- Co-chair of the OBA's Institute Insolvency Law Program: What’s New and Notable in the World of Insolvency Law (2017)
- Panelist at the IWIRC Lunch and Learn panel: West Meet East focusing on recent restructuring and financial trends in Canada’s troubled oil and gas sector (2016)
- Co-chair of the OBA's Institute Insolvency Law Program: Law of Uncertain Economic Times (2016)
- Co-chair and presenter at the Federated Press’ Loan Documentation Conference (2016)
- Co-presenter for the last four years at Osgoode Professional Development's program on secured lending and debt finance (2012-2015)
- Co-chair of the OBA's Institute Insolvency Law Program: Hot Topics, Important Cases and Emerging Trends in Insolvency & Bankruptcy Law (2015)
- Presenter at the “Negotiating Forbearance Agreements” at the Federated Press’ Loan Documentation Conference: Mastering critical issues in loan negotiation and documentation (2015)
- Panelist at CAIRP's Commercial Insolvency and Restructuring Program revolving around a practical scenario of whether to file under the CCAA or the BIA (2014)
- Panelist for the Law Society of Upper Canada's program on Bankruptcy, Insolvency and Receivership Essentials (2014)
- Moderator at the ACG Toronto Lunch and Learn panel: The State of Insolvency and Restructuring (2014)