Leah M. Gerbitz
Recognized in:Commercial LitigationMass Tort Litigation / Class Actions - Defendants...
Law School:The University of Tennessee
Location:Volunteer Building, Suite 1200832 Georgia AvenueChattanooga, TN 37402-2289
- The University of Tennessee , J.D., graduated 1994
- Vanderbilt University , BS, graduated 1991
- Tennessee, Tennessee Bar Association
- Georgia, State Bar of Georgia
Named "Lawyer of the Year" by Best Lawyers for:
- Product Liability Litigation - Defendants, Chattanooga (2015)
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America for work in:
- Commercial Litigation
- Mass Tort Litigation / Class Actions - Defendants
- Product Liability Litigation - Defendants
Lawyer Practice Areas
Regions Plaza, Suite 2100
1180 West Peachtree Street, NW
Atlanta, GA 30309-3407
2820 Selwyn Avenue, Suite 818
Charlotte, NC 28209
Volunteer Building, Suite 1200
832 Georgia Avenue
Chattanooga, TN 37402-2289
Lawyer Case History
- Represents consumer product company in defense of multi-state product liability litigation regarding talc.
- Represented national skilled nursing facility provider in defense of False Claims Act qui tam litigation.
- Obtained $7.2 million jury verdict for Plaintiff who sustained spinal cord injury from participating in fraternity sponsored slip-n-slide recruitment event.
- Represented behavioral health provider in defense of False Claims Act qui tam litigation; successfully resolved civilly with 5 year CIA.
- Extensive work with healthcare providers, health insurance companies, and medical staff leaders regarding credentials and privileges, peer review matters, due process hearings and related litigation.
- Represented health insurance company with regard to significant data breach involving protected health information.
- Part of team that represented an international construction specialized service organization defending claims regarding construction services that were part of a billion dollar utility service upgrade project.
- Represented a publicly-traded consumer products company as part of a team defending hundreds of pharmaceutical products liability cases filed in multiple state and federal jurisdictions, including two multi-district litigations In Re Phenylpropanolamine ("PPA") Products Liability Litigation, MDL No. 1407 (W. D. Wa.); In Re: Ephedra Litigation, MDL No. 1598 (S.D.N.Y.).Represented infant food product manufacturer in defense of product liability action alleging product contamination.
- Represented consumer product company in various consumer class action claims in multiple jurisdictions alleging false advertising, misrepresentation and breach of warranty.
- Successfully represented a large public hospital in a case involving credentialing actions against a disruptive physician, obtaining summary judgment on civil rights allegations and claims subject to the Health Care Quality Improvement Act.
- Represented a regional hospital in multiple medical malpractice claims and provided advice regarding risk management, HIPAA and credentialing issues.
- Represented one of the nation's largest chemical manufacturers as part of a team defending claims regarding construction and function of a CO2 conversion facility.Sulphuric Acid Trading Co., Inc. v. Greenwich Ins. Co., 211 S. W. 3d 243 (Tenn. Ct. App. 2006).In Re: Adoption of Downey v. Downey, 2003 WL 2010753 (Tenn. Ct. App.).City of Chattanooga v. Bellsouth Telecommunications et. al., 1 F. Supp. 2d 809 (E. D. Tenn. 1999); 2000 WL 122199 (Tenn. Ct. App. 2000).