Laurie H. Pawlitza
Recognized since 2006
Laurie is a partner in our Family Law Group, acting in disputes involving high incomes and significant property. Her practice also includes mediation and arbitration. She appears in Courts at both the trial and appellate levels. Between 2010 and 2012, Laurie was elected as the 63rd Treasurer (President) of The Law Society of Upper Canada, the regulator governing all lawyers and paralegals in Ontario. She was only the third woman since the Law Society was founded in 1797 to hold this office. Throughout her time as an elected bencher (director) of the Law Society of Upper Canada (2003-2012), Laurie co-chaired the Justicia Project, aimed at advancing women lawyers within the profession, a project that has now been adopted by a number of other provincial law societies.Currently, Laurie chairs the Federation of Law Societies of Canada Canadian Common Law Program Approval Committee, which approves all common law degree programs in Canada and all new common law programs in Canada. She is also Ontario’s representative to the Federation of Law Societies of Canada Council. Most recently, Laurie was elected to the Council of the Commonwealth Lawyers’ Association, based in London, U.K. Laurie was named in the "Top 25 Most Influential Lawyers in Canada" in 2012 and also received an Honourary Doctorate from the Law Society of Upper Canada in the same year for her work, in particular on the Justicia Project.
Contact & Links
- 151 Yonge Street, Suite 1500
Toronto, ON M5C 2W7
- Ontario, 1986
- Ontario, 1986
- Chair, Canadian Common Law Degree Approval Committee (2012 to date) - Member
- Council Member, Commonwealth Lawyers Association (Longon, U.K.) (2012 to date) - Member
- Dean's Council, College of Law, University of Saskatchewan (2014 to date) - Member
- Federation of Law Societies of Canada (FLSC), Ontario Council Member (2012 to date) - Member
- Member, National Admission Standards Steering Committee (FLSC) (2013 to date) - Member
- The Law Society of Upper Canada, Director, LawPRO - Member
- The Law Society of Upper Canada, Past Treasurer and Ex-Officio member of Convocation - Member
Headquarters: Toronto, Ontario
31 The Best Lawyers in Canada™ awards
2 Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch in Canada™ awards
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in Canada™ 2023 for work in:
- Family Law
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.