Recognized since 1997
New York, New York
First Amendment Law
Litigation - First Amendment
Laura Handman is the co-chair of the firm’s appellate practice and divides her time between the New York and D.C. offices. For thirty years, Laura has been providing pre-publication counseling and litigation services from complaint through trial and appeal to U.S. and foreign broadcasters, film studios, and book, magazine, newspaper and Internet publishers and non-profits. Laura has extensive experience in libel, newsgathering, privacy, right of publicity, reporter’s privilege and First Amendment matters. She obtained the first decision in U.S. courts refusing to enforce foreign libel judgments as inconsistent with the First Amendment and was involved in the passage of the SPEECH Act codifying those decisions as federal law. Laura has served as an expert on American libel law in actions in England, Northern Ireland and Australia. She has obtained the first decisions applying the D.C. Anti-SLAPP Act in federal court and has written four amicus briefs on Anti-SLAPP issues. She represents news organizations, reporters, and Internet firms in national security investigations. She brings recognized expertise to clients in copyright litigation and was appointed a special master in S.D.N.Y. to review advertising and promotion in a civil fraud action.
Laura’s clients include: Amazon.com, Associated Newspapers, Atlantic Media Company, Bloomberg, Center for American Progress, China Central Television (CCTV), Discovery Communications, Dow Jones, The Economist, HarperCollins, Hearst Corporation, MainJustice.com, Microsoft, New York Daily News, New York Post, National Public Radio (NPR), Pew Charitable Trust, Random House, Straus Newspapers, Times Newspapers Ltd., TripAdvisor, U.S. News & World Report, Yale Alumni Magazine, and Yelp.
Contact & Links
- Lawyer Page: https://www.dwt.com/people/h/handman-laura-r
- 1251 Avenue Of The Americas, 21st Floor
New York, NY 10020-1104
- 1301 K Street NW Suite 500 East
Washington, DC 20005
- District of Columbia, The District of Columbia Bar
- New York, New York State Bar Association
- Massachusetts, Massachusetts Bar Association
Named "Lawyer of the Year" by Best Lawyers® for:
- Litigation - First Amendment, New York City (2020)
- Litigation - First Amendment, New York City (2017)
- Litigation - First Amendment, Washington DC (2016)
- Litigation - First Amendment, Washington, DC (2016)
- First Amendment Law, Washington DC (2015)
- First Amendment Law, Washington, DC (2015)
- Media Law, Washington DC (2015)
- Media Law, Washington, DC (2015)
- Litigation - First Amendment, Washington DC (2014)
- Litigation - First Amendment, Washington, DC (2014)
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America® 2022 for work in:
- Litigation - First Amendment
- Media Law
- First Amendment Law
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.