Laura Hanson is a Partner and member of the firm’s Business Disputes, Corporate/ Commercial, Insurance and Construction + Engineering Practice. Laura regularly acts as counsel for a wide variety of matters including business disputes, property claims that involve defending contractors, trades and engineers, and claims for product liability advanced against manufacturers and distributors.
Laura’s representative experience includes appearing before the British Columbia Supreme Court, the Alberta Queen’s Bench, the Employment Standards Tribunal and the Provincial Court of Alberta. Laura has also represented an electricity company in Alberta in two complex arbitrations. The matters in which Laura has been involved range from complex multi-party construction disputes, catastrophic injury claims, and complex coverage disputes involving multiple insurers where claims for equitable contribution are advanced. She also has experience litigating and resolving commercial litigation matters.
- Successfully resolved large and complex construction claims where engineers, contractors or trades were alleged to have caused property damage
- Successfully resolved a coverage dispute involving property damage in the amount of 12 million dollars where the insurers advanced claims for equitable contribution
- Successfully resolved a contractual dispute arising from a 25 million dollar property damage claim
- Successfully resolved product liability claims for manufacturers and distributors alleged to have breached the Sale of Goods Act
- Successfully resolved personal injury claims involving complex traumatic brain injury allegations and insurance policy limit issues
- Successfully resolved claims for life insurers alleged to owe death benefits
- Successfully resolved claims for lawyers and law firms in legal malpractice actions where errors were alleged to have been made in a variety of areas including commercial litigation, real estate, wills and estates
- Successful trial concerning the wrongful dismissal of an employee
- Successful appeal of an employer at an Employment Standards Appeal
- Successful defence of a Canadian railway company at a trial concerning charges under the Railway Safety Act
- Successful resolution of a minority shareholder in a claim for oppression, breach of fiduciary duty and wrongful dismissal
- Successful resolution of a claim involving a company seeking specific performance for breach of an offer for purchase and sale, or alternatively, 5 million dollars in damages
- Successful resolution of a 150 million dollar claim involving a major Canadian railway allegedly having breached an offer for purchase and sale
- Co-Counsel at two arbitrations for a major electricity company in Alberta involving an 8 million dollar contractual dispute