Kristen A. "Kris" Algert
Recognized since 2007
Collaborative Law: Family Law
Family Law Mediation
Respectful, Constructive Problem-Solving to Meet the Future with Confidence
Kris Algert on Your Family and Your Future:
Regardless of background or economic status, I treat my clients and their families with respect and dignity as I work with them to negotiate pre-and post-marital agreements or divorce settlements. I provide clients with a roadmap that starts with understanding my client's needs, goals, and values, and ends with finding, evaluating and implementing constructive solutions.My clients include busy professionals, parents, retirees, business owners, politicians, celebrities, and their partners who want to problem-solve efficiently, minimize the impact of divorce on family relationships and the financial estate, and who value a pro-active, solution-oriented approach. I strongly support the Collaborative Family Law Process for those that can do it because it offers clients the ability to control the outcome; determine their financial future; and create a solid co-parenting relationship. The Collaborative Process offers efficiencies that a more traditional legal process does not.
- Ease the process of divorce or pre-post marital agreement negotiation by listening and supporting clients where they are emotionally, being extremely responsive and efficient, and offering flexibility in their already busy lives.
- Move cases forward by identifying and untangling complex issues, obstacles, and impasses and promoting a pro-active, solutions-oriented approach.
- Explore all possible options and outcomes so clients can make fully informed decisions about their futures.
- Negotiate most desired options after thorough research, thoughtful analysis and attention to detail.
- Avoid adversarial techniques or tactics to preserve relationships and resolve the family issue with a spirit of cooperation.
- Navigate the challenges that may arise if someone suffers from mental health or substance abuse issues.
Kris Algert is among the most accomplished and recognized Collaborative Family Law professionals in Texas. She brings clients a wealth of experience in developing creative, individualized solutions in highly challenging and complex divorces. She is a Master-Credentialed Collaborative Professional, has received the Gay G. Cox Award for Excellence in Collaborative Law, served as a board member and president of the statewide organization Collaborative Divorce Texas, and conducts collaborative trainings for lawyers, mental health professionals, and financial professionals.
Kris is a member of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, a group of preeminent family law practitioners in the United States who have been recognized with a high level of knowledge, skill, and integrity. She is also Board-Certified in Family Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization and a member of numerous other professional organizations.
Kris is especially skilled at negotiating and drafting premarital and post-marital/partition agreements; characterizing assets; dividing complex estates; valuing businesses and other property; child custody, visitation; alimony and child support; and managing high-conflict situations especially those that arise because of the existence of mental health issues or substance abuse.Kris has been named Best Lawyers© Collaborative Law “Lawyer of the Year” in Austin in 2013, 2016, 2018, and 2020, Best Lawyers© Family Law “Lawyer of the Year” in Austin in 2011 and 2015 and Best Lawyers© Family Law Mediation “Lawyer of the Year” in Austin in 2019.
When Kris is not practicing law, she loves being active and especially doing anything outdoors--running, biking, hiking, playing tennis, and hunting for shells on Destin, Florida beaches. Highly goal-oriented, Kris has run several marathons over the last 30 years and is always looking for ways to challenge herself physically and mentally. Kris enjoys discovering and learning whether that is from reading a book, attending a lecture, or taking a class. Currently, she is studying Insight Theory and conflict resolution generally to better understand how people, organizations, and governments approach and resolve conflicts.
- Direct Phone Number: 512-454-8791
- Phone Number: 512-454-8791
- Lawyer Page: https://www.gbafamilylaw.com/attorney/kristen-a-algert/
- 3307 Northland Drive, Suite 420
Austin, TX 78731
- Baylor University, J.D., Law, graduated 1988
- Baylor University, B.A., English, graduated 1984
- Texas, 1988
- American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers - Member
- Austin Bar Association - Member
- Baylor Law Alumni Association - Member
- Collaborative Divorce Texas (f/k/a Collaborative Law Institute of Texas) - Member, Board of Trustees, President, President-Elect
- College of the State Bar - Member
- International Academy of Collaborative Professionals - Member
- State Bar of Texas, Family Law Section - Member, Life Fellow
- Texas Academy of Family Law Specialists - Member
- Texas Board of Legal Specialization - Legal Assistant Commission
- Texas College of Collaborative Law - Member
- Texas Family Law Foundation - Member
- Travis County Family Law Advocates - Member
- Volunteer Legal Services of Central Texas - Program Services Committee Chair, Board of Directors, Treasurer, Secretary
- Texas - Court of Appeals
20 The Best Lawyers in America® awards
5 Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch® in America awards
- Collaborative Law: Family Law, Austin (2020)
- Family Law Mediation, Austin (2019)
- Collaborative Law: Family Law, Austin (2018)
- Collaborative Law: Family Law, Austin (2016)
- Family Law, Austin (2015)
- Collaborative Law: Family Law, Austin (2013)
- Family Law, Austin (2011)
- Collaborative Law: Family Law
- Family Law
- Family Law Mediation
- Collaborative Law
- Selected to the Texas Super Lawyers list, Thomson Reuters, 2005 – 2021
- Recipient of the J. Chrys Dougherty Award for dedication and commitment to access to justice for all, 2015
- “AV” rating, Martindale-Hubbell Legal Directory
- Named by Best Lawyers as Best Lawyer of the Year for Family Law, Mediation or Collaborative Family Law (2011, 2013, 2015, 2016, 2018)
- Named in Best Lawyers in America - Collaborative Law: Family Law, and Family Law Mediation (2007-2021)
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.