Kevin Coughlin is a Founding Partner and former Managing Partner of Coughlin Duffy.
His practice extends to numerous areas, including insurance and reinsurance, toxic torts, products liability, professional liability, directors and officers, financial institutions, construction, antitrust, commercial and corporate litigation, environmental and bad-faith litigation. He regularly counsels insurers and reinsurers worldwide on a variety of issues relating to commercial insurance and reinsurance. Kevin also defends insurance companies and reinsurance companies in coverage litigation and arbitrations in numerous jurisdictions throughout the United States and Europe. In the commercial area he represents multinational clients in disputes arising out of commercial transactions, including non-US transactions with implications within the United States. He also counsels non-US companies doing business in the US.
Kevin was a founding member of the insurance services group at McElroy Deutsch & Mulvaney LLP. He was a partner at that firm from 1987 until he resigned in March 2004 to start the firm of Coughlin Duffy LLP.
- Representation of an Insurer in relation to claims for coverage arising from the largest anti-trust action in US history.
- Counsel to a major insurer in connection with its insurance issues and litigation arising out of the World Trade Center terrorist attack.
- Lead counsel to an insurer in coverage litigation involving pollution at two mines in Western United States and Canada.
- Lead counsel for 50 foreign insurers in a complex multi-national insurance and antitrust dispute arising out of US asbestos litigation.
- Involved in numerous insurance and reinsurance disputes in the US and Europe arising from litigation against financial institutions and accounting firms.