Kevin Wood helps all types of healthcare providers navigate the complex and ever-changing rules that control how providers enter business arrangements with each other. Most providers want to solely focus on delivering quality healthcare to their patients. But as one of the most-regulated industries, healthcare providers have many other challenges that demand their attentions. These include such things as complying with federal and state fraud and abuse laws, ensuring the privacy and security of patient information, and being prepared should federal or state agencies knock on the door.
As Leader of Strasburger’s Healthcare Industry Team, Kevin works with his team members to ensure they are aware of the latest challenges facing providers and are able to provide practical solutions for those challenges. Kevin’s experience in addressing these challenges and opportunities includes helping providers in their efforts to:
- Organize and implement operational adjustments in response to new requirements arising from healthcare reform, including how to get paid for what they do;
- Comply with federal and state anti-kickback laws and physician self-referral prohibitions (Stark);
- Comply with privacy, security, and breach notification requirements for healthcare data under HIPAA/HITECH;
- Respond to requests and investigations by oversight agencies such as the Texas Medical Board (TMB), Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS), Office of Inspector General of Health & Human Services (OIG), and Texas Office of Inspector General-HHSC; and
- Obtain proper licensure, certification, or enrollment to provide services and get paid for those services.