Recognized since 2008
Kevin has taught at the University of Houston Law Center, first as an adjunct professor of Legal Writing, then in a half-time position as Director of Legal Research and Writing, then as Director of Appellate Advocacy, and then as an adjunct professor of Appellate Advocacy.
Kevin is a former chair of the State Bar of Texas Appellate Section and the Houston Bar Association Appellate Section. He is a Fellow of the American Academy of Appellate Lawyers, and has been listed in Texas Super Lawyers as one of the Top 100 Lawyers in Texas. He also is regularly listed in Best Lawyers in America, and in the Chambers Guide to America's Leading Lawyers for Business. In 2012 he became the 4th lawyer recipient of the Chief Justice Jack Pope Professionalism Award, presented to one attorney and one judge each year by the Texas Center for Legal Ethics.
Kevin is a frequent author and speaker at CLE courses, primarily in the areas of preservation of error before, during, and after trial; legal writing; oral advocacy; appellate ethics; and creating a meaningful, fulfilling, and balanced law practice.
Kevin has been married for over 30 years to Glenda Owen (DDS), and has two grown sons who he considers his closest friends. He has held numerous leadership positions at St. Mark's United Methodist Church, and currently is an active member of the Board of two non-profit organizations: Main Street Theater (current Board President), and Houston Urban Debate League. He is a cyclist, runner, and foodie, and an avid fan of movies, theater, and live music.
- 1844 Harvard Street
Houston, TX 77008-4342
- The University of Texas at Austin , J.D., graduated 1979
- Rice University, BA, graduated 1976
- Texas, State Bar of Texas
- Texas Center for Legal Ethics - Board of Directors
- American Academy of Appellate Lawyers - Board of Directors
- Houston Bar Association Appellate Section - Former Chair
- Houston Urban Debate League - Board Chair-elect
- Main Street Theater Board of Directors - Board Chair
- State Bar of Texas Appellate Section - Former Chair
- United States Supreme Court
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- United States Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of Texas
Named "Lawyer of the Year" by Best Lawyers® for:
- Appellate Practice, Houston (2013)
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America® 2023 for work in:
- Bet-the-Company Litigation
- Appellate Practice
- Recipient of the 2012 Chief Justice Jack Pope Professionalism Award from the Texas Center for Legal Ethics
- Texas Super Lawyers by Thomson Reuters, 2003-2021
- Best Lawyers in America, 2008-2021
- Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Appellate Litigation
Board certificationsCivil Appellate; Personal Injury Trial
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.