Kent's commercial law practice involves providing advice to entrepreneurs and privately-held companies with respect to various legal and tax issues that arise during the life-cycle of a business. Kent assists with immediate transactional needs and also helps implement solutions to meet long term business objectives.
Kent's practice and case history in commercial /business law have involved:
- Business management and continuation planning
- Consummation of asset purchases, sales, acquisitions, mergers and divestitures
- Business-entity selection, formation and planning
- Planning with disregarded entities
- Buy-Sell Agreements and other exit strategies
- Development of Equity and Non-Equity Incentive Plans
- Many aspects of business operations such as asset protection, taxation, and contract preparation and negotiation
Kent also has considerable experience in developing comprehensive wealth transfer plans for individuals and families that are designed to meet clients' primary objectives of providing for their children and grandchildren, while minimizing taxes and protecting assets to the greatest extent possible. Kent counsels individuals and business owners on the various alternatives for transferring wealth to the next generation while addressing liquidity issues that can often be created by estate and transfer taxes.
Kent’s experience in wealth transfer planning include:
- Preparation of estate planning documents (e.g., wills, trusts, powers of attorney and health care directives)
- Federal gift and estate tax analysis and planning
- Premarital/Postmarital Agreements
- Counseling with respect to life insurance, charitable giving and bequest matters
- Counsel with respect to probate and estate administration matters, including preparation of federal and Indiana death tax returns.
Since 2007, Kent has been certified as an Indiana specialist in estate and trust planning administration.
- Represented purchaser in connection with a multi-million dollar acquisition of real estate and business interests.
- Involvement in federal and state tax controversies.
- Structured and documented financing and capital transactions by strategic investors.
- Prepared stock appreciation rights plans and phantom stock plans designed to reward key employees.
- Served as counsel for a diversified supply business client in connection with multiple acquisitions.
- Structured tax-free reorganization of restaurant group.
- Represented personal representatives and beneficiaries in estate matters involving a series of disclaimers.
- Preparation of multiple family business entities designed to facilitate wealth transfer.
- Counseled personal representative in connection with the negotiation and preparation of complicated family settlement agreement.
- Assisted client with respect to a substantial sale of business interests to an intentionally defective grantor trust.
- Preparation of Irrevocable Life Insurance Trusts and life insurance planning.
- Represented family members with respect to conservatorship in which substantial assets were distributed pursuant to a complex estate plan.