Kenneth S. "Kenny" Byrd
Lieff Cabraser Heimann & Bernstein, LLP
Recognized since 2018
Consumer Protection Law
Mass Tort Litigation / Class Actions - Plaintiffs
Personal Injury Litigation - Plaintiffs
Product Liability Litigation - Plaintiffs
A Relentless, Principled Advocate
A partner based in our Nashville office, Kenneth S. Byrd is an experienced trial attorney at Lieff Cabraser, obtaining several large jury trial verdicts against Big Tobacco over the past several years. He received the Tennessee Association for Justice’s 2015 Paladin Award for his successful litigation against cigarette manufacturers R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Company, Philip Morris USA Inc., and Lorillard Tobacco Company in Florida federal courts. The Paladin Award is TAJ’s highest honor and is given to the state’s top trial lawyer of the year.
Kenny represents clients in mass tort cases, defective product cases and consumer fraud litigation. He represents consumers in consumer class action cases as well as injured individuals and their loved ones in personal injury and wrongful death lawsuits filed in across the country. Kenny is also a member of Lieff Cabraser’s False Claim Act/Fraud on the Government practice group, assisting whistleblowers to stop fraud and the misuse of funds in government contracts and programs.
Over the past several years, Kenny has represented the families of deceased smokers in trials in Florida federal court against the tobacco companies for their 50-year conspiracy of misrepresenting the dangers of smoking cigarettes and for intentionally engineering the design of cigarettes to make them more addictive. In 2013 and 2014, Kenny was the lead trial attorney in obtaining several substantial jury verdicts for smokers and their families, including a $27 million jury verdict and a $41 million jury verdict. His verdicts paved the way to a $100 million global settlement with Big Tobacco on behalf of hundreds of gravely injured smokers in Florida.
Prior to joining Lieff Cabraser, Kenny practiced as a litigation attorney at Harwell, Howard, Hyne, Gabbert & Manner, PC. He also worked as a reporter in Washington D.C., covering church-state and religious liberty matters at the White House, U.S. Supreme Court and Congress. Covering politicians as a reporter, he learned how to smell out lies and deception and uncover truth.
Contact & Links
- 222 Second Avenue South, Suite 1640
Nashville, TN 37201
- Boston College Law School, J.D. (Cum Laude), graduated 2008
- Samford University, B.S. (Cum Laude), graduated 1995
- Tennessee, 2004
- American Bar Association - Member
- American Constitution Society, Nashville Chapter - Member; Chair of 2008 Supreme Court Preview Event
- Camp Ridgecrest Alumni & Friends - Board Member
- Harry Phillips American Inn of Court, Nashville Chapter - Associate Member (2008 - 2010); Barrister (2010-2014)
- Historic Edgefield, Inc. - President (2009-2011)
- Nashville Bar Association - Member
- Tennessee Bar Association - Member
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Tennessee, 2007
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Tennessee, 2005
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Tennessee, 2006
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 6th Circuit, 2009
28 The Best Lawyers in America® awards
6 Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch® in America awards
Named "Lawyer of the Year" by Best Lawyers® for:
- Product Liability Litigation - Plaintiffs, Nashville (2023)
Recognized in The Best Lawyers® in America 2023 for work in:
- Consumer Protection Law
- Mass Tort Litigation / Class Actions - Plaintiffs
- Personal Injury Litigation - Plaintiffs
- Product Liability Litigation - Plaintiffs
- Selected for inclusion by peers in The Best Lawyers in America in fields of Consumer Protection Law, Personal Injury Litigation-Plaintiffs, and Product Liability Litigation-Plaintiffs, 2018-2023
- “Lawyer of the Year for Product Liability Litigation,” Nashville, Best Lawyers, 2023
- “Lawdragon 500 Leading Plaintiff Consumer Lawyers in America,” Lawdragon, 2021-2023
- “Outstanding Private Practice Antitrust Achievement,” American Antitrust Institute, 2020
- “Paladin Award,” Tennessee Association for Justice, 2015
- “Rising Star for Mid-South,” Super Lawyers, 2014
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.