Keith Hebeisen is a partner at Clifford Law Offices. One of the most respected medical malpractice attorneys in Illinois, Mr. Hebeisen has achieved great results for clients in settlements and trials. Although Mr. Hebeisen concentrates his practice in the area of medical malpractice cases against doctors and hospitals, he has represented individuals in a wide variety of cases, including transportation, product liability and toxic torts. We are proud to have him on our team.
Mr. Hebeisen has been a trial attorney for over 37 years. He is known for his no-nonsense style and has garnered the respect of both plaintiff and defense attorneys. Mr. Hebeisen is thorough in the investigation, preparation, and trial of each of his cases, which are often highly complex with many defendants, putting his clients in the best position to have successful outcomes. Mr. Hebeisen has handled numerous appeals in the Illinois appellate and supreme courts.
Honors And Accolades
Mr. Hebeisen was inducted into the International Academy of Trial Lawyers in 2010 and the American College of Trial Lawyers in 2011. He has been recognized by U.S. News Best Lawyers as a top tier attorney in the areas of medical malpractice and personal injury law. He is recognized as an Illinois Super Lawyer and an Illinois Leading Lawyer. In 2019, he was recognized for achieving one of the top 100 verdicts in the country and one of the top 10 verdicts in Illinois.
- Record Birth Injury Verdict in Illinois – Sallis v. VHS, et al., November 5, 2019, $100,673.368
- Best Lawyers in AmericaTM 2021
- Best Lawyers in AmericaTM - Lawyer of the Year 2020 – Personal Injury/Litigation – Plaintiff
- Best of the Best Attorneys • Top 10 Personal Injury Law – Illinois – 2020/2021 • Top 50 Verdicts in the US – 2019
- Best Lawyers In AmericaTM – Medical Malpractice Law, 2011- Best Lawyers in AmericaTM, Lawyer of the Year, 2014, 2015, 2020
- Global Directory of Who’s Who, 2020
- Illinois Super Lawyer, 2005-
- Illinois Leading Lawyer, 2003-
• Advisory Board, Medical Malpractice Law, 2009-
- National Law Journal 2019, Top 100 Verdicts
- National Law Journal 2019, Top 10 Verdicts in Illinois
- 2020 National Trial Lawyers Association Top 100
- Award for Excellence in Pro Bono Service, 2015 (Judges of the Northern District of Illinois and
Chicago Chapter of Federal Bar Association) Nominated by Judge Rebecca Pallmeyer
- Jury Verdict Reporter Award for Trial Lawyer Excellence, 2014, 2016
- President's Award, Illinois Trial Lawyers Association, 2010
- William J. Harte Amicus Volunteer Award, Illinois Trial Lawyers Association, June, 2003
- ITLA Amicus Volunteer Award, June, 2002
- ATLA (formerly AAJ) Wiedemann Wysocki Award, 1999-2000, 2001-2002, 2003-2004
Notable Verdicts And Settlements
As one of the top medical malpractice attorneys in Chicago, Mr. Hebeisen has many notable verdicts and settlements and has achieved a number of record recoveries.
• In November 2019, Mr. Hebeisen led a trial team that received an Illinois record birth injury verdict of $100,673,368.
• In 2018, he obtained a settlement of $22.9 million for a child who sustained permanent brain damage due to the negligence in his delivery.
• In 2013, Mr. Hebeisen led a trial team that recovered a $15,500,000 verdict for the family of a young mother who died after a cesarean section due to excessive bleeding.
• In 2010, he obtained settlements of $12 million and $10 million for two women who were the victims of medical malpractice in incidents that occurred on the same day in the hospital surgery suite.
Professional Leadership Positions And Memberships
Mr. Hebeisen also makes time to give back to the profession in substantial ways. He served as President of the Illinois Trial Lawyers Association from 2005 to 2006. He has served as the Chair of the American Bar Association Standing Committee on Medical Professional Liability. He is also very active in numerous other bar associations. Mr. Hebeisen has been an active leader in the fight to preserve the right to trial by jury. He has been an outspoken advocate against caps on damages in the legislature and courts of Illinois. He also has written extensively on these subjects, and Illinois lawyers throughout the state consult him on these very important issues.
Mr. Hebeisen enjoys using his strong writing skills and is the author of many publications. He has been the Editor of the Illinois Bar Journal for two years and has edited ITLA’s Medical Malpractice Trial Notebook since 1992. Using his background as a medical malpractice attorney, he has presented numerous lectures at seminars for professional associations on a wide range of topics. Mr. Hebeisen has planned and moderated numerous continuing legal education programs, including the ITLA Medical Malpractice Seminar, a widely attended all-day program held annually in Chicago.
For more information on Mr. Hebeisen’s background and experience, please see his curriculum vitae.