Katherine C. Scott is a partner at Harris, Hunt & Derr, P.A. and is a Florida Bar Board Certified Specialist in Marital & Family Law. Ms. Scott has practiced Marital and Family Law exclusively for over ten years.
Katherine prides herself on providing tough but compassionate representation to her clients and enjoys guiding clients through challenging times and complex situations towards a happier and more secure future. Katherine loves the courtroom and is experienced in litigating high end cases with complex financial and parenting issues, as well as cases involving post-judgment and contempt issues and domestic violence injunctions. However, Katherine also recognizes the benefits of settlement and is a skilled negotiator both in and outside of mediation. Katherine additionally focuses on the collaborative divorce process for settlement-oriented clients who want to resolve their disputes respectfully and privately, without going to court.
Katherine is also experienced in drafting prenuptial agreements and postnuptial agreements.
Katherine was selected as a 2020 Super Lawyer in the area of Family Law. Only 5% of Florida attorneys are selected for this honor. Katherine was also selected for Best Lawyers and Florida Trend’s Legal Elite in 2020. Katherine is rated AV Preeminent by Martindale Hubbell, a rating which indicates that a lawyer’s peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence. Katherine holds leadership positions within the Hillsborough County Bar Association Family Law Section, the Florida Bar, and the Junior League of Tampa, and she lectures at CLE seminars.
Katherine earned her undergraduate degree from Emory University and graduated cum laude from Stetson University College of Law.
“I feel very well represented as she is so very knowledgeable. Katherine vigorously fights for me and my case. I highly recommend her!” – B.
“[Katherine] is reliable and trustworthy and her advice and judgment are on point. I am impressed with how poised, effective, and tough she is in and out of the courtroom.” – L.
“[Katherine] tried hard to settle [my case] to avoid litigation, but when we were unable to settle she didn’t hesitate and was quick to accomplish what needed to be done. She was proactive, communicative, had my daughter’s best interest in mind, and always gave the straight truth whether I wanted to hear it or not.” – L.
Awards & Honors
- Florida Super Lawyers, Family Law, 2019 – 2020
- Florida Trend Legal Elite, Marital & Family Law, 2020
- Best Lawyers in America, Family Law, 2018 - 2020
- Martindale Hubbell AV Preeminent Rated, 2017 – Present
- Florida Super Lawyers Rising Star, Family Law, 2017
- Tampa Magazine 2017 Top Lawyers – Family Law
- HCBA Marital & Family Law Section Chair (2019-2020)
- HCBA Marital & Family Law Section Officer (2017-2020)
- HCBA Marital & Family Law Section Executive Council Member (2010 – Present); Chair/Co-Chair of Pro Bono Committee (2014 – 2017)
- Florida Bar Diversity and Inclusion Committee (2016-Present); Vice Chair of Get Involved Subcommittee (2018-Present); Steering Committee for Florida Bar Path to Inclusion Symposium (2017)
- Florida Bar Wm. Reece Smith, Jr. Leadership Academy (2015-2016 class)
- HCBA Leadership Institute (2014 – 2015 class)
- Florida Bar Family Law Section (2010 – Present) (Children’s Issues Committee, Domestic Violence Committee, Publications Committee)
- Florida Bar Family Law Trial Workshop (August 2015)
- Florida Bar Family Law Leadership Retreat (September 2014)
- Stann W. Givens Family Law Inn of Court of Tampa (2010 – Present)
- Hillsborough Association of Women Lawyers (“HAWL”) (2010 – Present)
- Next Generation Divorce Collaborative Practice Group (2014 – Present)
- Trial Preparation and Effective Trial Presentation in Family Law Cases, March 2019 (HCBA Family Law Section CLE)
- Discovery: Responding, Avoiding, Complying, June 2017 (CLE Presentation to Florida Department of Health Attorneys)
- Complex Issues in Equitable Distribution, February 2016 (HCBA Family Law Section CLE)
- Alimony, April 2015 (Thirteenth Judicial Circuit Family Law Training CLE for Pro Bono Attorneys)
- Discovery: Responding, Avoiding, Complying, November 2013 (Basic Discovery 2013 presented by The Florida Bar Continuing Legal Education Committee and the Young Lawyers Division)
- Guest Speaker for Undergraduate Introduction to Law class at University of Tampa (2015 – 2019)
- Hearsay Exceptions: Evidence in Contested Parenting Cases, HCBA Lawyer Magazine Summer 2015
- Kaaa-boom! Kaaa Case Resolves Conflict But Creates Questions, HCBA Lawyer Magazine May 2011
- Junior League of Tampa (2011 – Present); Leadership JLT (2013-2014 class)
- Lawyers for Literacy (2012 – Present)