Recognized since 2016
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Employee Benefits (ERISA) Law
Litigation - Labor and Employment
Karleen Green has a blended labor and employment practice which concentrates on employee benefits and employment matters for both public and private employers, including compliance with federal and state employment laws as well as ERISA, HIPAA, the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act and COBRA. She represents clients in various industries, including construction, health care, public utilities, package and freight delivery, financial services, fueling, gaming, industrial equipment, insurance, real estate, food service, education, and state and local government. Karleen handles issues related to plan qualification under the Internal Revenue Code and compliance with the Employee Retirement Income Security Act, the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, and COBRA. She regularly counsels clients on administration of pension and welfare benefit plans and cafeteria plans as well as plan correction issues. Karleen also drafts benefit plans and various plan documents such as summary plan descriptions and plan amendments and reviews prototype plan documents and service agreements. She advises employers on nonqualified deferred compensation matters, employment agreements and severance arrangements. She handles ERISA litigation involving issues of breach of fiduciary duty and wrongful denial of benefits. Karleen has spoken numerous times on the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act and the impact on employer-provided group health coverage and counsels clients on compliance issues.
Karleen counsels employers on issues related to Title VII, the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act, the Family and Medical Leave Act, the Fair Labor Standards Act, the Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act, and state laws related to discrimination and retaliation, wage payment, and noncompetition and defends clients in administrative proceedings and litigation asserting claims under these laws. She frequently counsels clients on the administration of employee benefits during leaves of absence under the Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act, the FMLA, and other federal and state laws. She regularly drafts and reviews employment policies and conducts training sessions on employment laws.
Contact & Links
- II City Plaza, Suite 1100
400 Convention Street
Baton Rouge, LA 70802-5618
- Louisiana State University Law Center, J.D., graduated 1997
- Louisiana State University, B.S., graduated 1994
- Louisiana, Louisiana
- American Bar Association - (Taxation and Labor and Employment Law Sections and Employee Benefits Committee)
- Baton Rouge Bar Association - (Holiday Star Committee and Membership Committee)
- Federal Bar Association - (Secretary, Labor and Employment Law Section; Chair, Special Committee on Employee Benefits, 2005-2010; Board of Governors, 2016 - present)
- Louisiana Bar Foundation - (Board of Directors, 2008-2010 and 2014-present; Chair, Development Committee, 2009-2011; Grants Committee)
- Louisiana State Bar Association, Young Lawyers Section Council - (Chair, 2007-2008); Bat P. Sullivan Chair’s Award (2004)
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Louisiana
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Louisiana
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Louisiana
Named "Lawyer of the Year" by Best Lawyers® for:
- Employee Benefits (ERISA) Law, Baton Rouge (2022)
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America® 2022 for work in:
- Employee Benefits (ERISA) Law
- Litigation - Labor and Employment
- Federal Bar Association, Labor and Employment Section, Chair’s Award (2013)
- Employee Benefits Law (2016-2020) The Best Lawyers in America
- Louisiana Super Lawyers list, Super Lawyers (2018-2020)
- Forty Under 40 Award, Greater Baton Rouge Business Report (2010)
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.