Ms. Kahn provides legal counsel to more than 250 employee benefit plans.Karen provides advice and counsel to employers, health insurance agencies and others on the implications of the Affordable Care Act on health plans and other employer-provided benefit plans. She also advises group health plans and physician practice groups on COBRA, HIPAA compliance, domestic partner benefits, and on regulatory compliance for healthcare providers. Additionally, Karen advises on benefits issues in mergers and acquisitions.
- Pitzer College, graduated 1975
- University of Southern California, graduated 1976
- Loyola Marymount University, graduated 1982
- New Mexico, State Bar of New Mexico
- California, State Bar of California
- State Bar of New Mexico - Member
Named "Lawyer of the Year" by Best Lawyers for:
- Employee Benefits (ERISA) Law, Albuquerque (2017)
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America for work in:
- Employee Benefits (ERISA) Law
- Best Lawyers in America® in Employee Benefits (ERISA) Law, 2009-present
- YWCA Women on the Move, 2001
- United States Court of Appeals
Areas of Expertise:
- Pension, Health and Welfare
- Qualified Plans
- Retirement Planning
Lawyer Case History
Employee Benefit Plans
Advised more than 250 employee benefit plans for profit, non-profit, governmental, and tribal organizations on qualified plans and 403(b) regulations, including drafting of plan documents and amendments.
- Guided several companies through the Internal Revenue Service's voluntary correction program and the Department of Labor's voluntary fiduciary correction program to maintain the qualified status of these 401(k), profit-sharing plans, and defined benefit plans. Corrections included non-amenders, discrimination test failures, late salary deferral deposits, non-compliance with the plan terms, failures to defer elected contribution amounts, inclusion of ineligibles, and many loan program violations.
Advised clients on the advantages of using an ESOP for passing ownership of small businesses. We have negotiated bank loans for ESOP, drafted the plan documents for ESOPs, and represented ESOPs during audits.
Cafeteria Plans and Heath Reimbursement Accounts
- Represented a large number of cafeteria plans and health reimbursement account plans, and have developed strategies to meet the employer's goals for provision of benefits and compliance with new laws.