Recognized since 2010
Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency and Reorganization Law
Litigation - Bankruptcy
Julie Beth Teicher is a shareholder in the firm’s Creditor Rights, Bankruptcy and Insolvency Practice Group as well as the firm’s Financial Services and Real Property Litigation Group. She concentrates her practice on business-related insolvency and bankruptcy matters, handling cases in U.S. Bankruptcy Court, U.S. District Court and State court proceedings. Ms. Teicher is recognized and respected for her expertise in insolvency-related matters.
Her clients include debtors, creditors, receivers, purchasers and parties in interest in bankruptcy and receivership matters in both state and federal courts. Ms. Teicher has served as a court-appointed receiver and as the trustee of a liquidating trust established pursuant to Delaware law. In particular, she has worked on a number of hospital bankruptcy matters over the years, representing a variety of clients in various cases. Ms. Teicher has extensive experience representing creditors in consumer debtor cases filed under chapters 11, 13 and 7. These creditors include various financial institutions, real estate companies, title companies, landlords and trustees.
In addition to courts in Michigan, Ms. Teicher has represented clients in bankruptcy matters in New York, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Texas and Ohio. She also serves as local counsel for out of state attorneys who have matters in Michigan courts, including state, federal and bankruptcy courts.
Ms. Teicher is AV rated in Martindale Hubbell and is included in its registry of preeminent women lawyers. She has been recognized as a Top Lawyer by DBusiness Magazine in the area of bankruptcy, named in the Best Lawyers in America® in the practice areas of Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law and Litigation-Bankruptcy since 2010, in 2018 in the practice area of Commercial Litigation, and recognized in the Michigan edition of Super Lawyers® in the practice areas of Business Bankruptcy, Business Litigation and Creditor/Debtor Rights. Ms. Teicher has been recognized by Super Lawyers® as one of the Top Women Lawyers for Business Bankruptcy.
A Certified Bankruptcy Court Mediator, Ms. Teicher has been an Adjunct Professor at University of Detroit/Mercy School of Law at various times since 2006 and has been a presenter at a number of seminars, including as a speaker at the American Bankruptcy Institute’s Central States Bankruptcy Workshop, Veteran’s Day Detroit Consumer Bankruptcy Conference (now known as the ABI Hon. Steven W. Rhodes Consumer Bankruptcy Conference) and other seminars, as well as presentations on receiverships in commercial real estate matters, alternatives to bankruptcy, and creditors’ rights in the metal forming business sector.
Education: James Madison College, Michigan State University (B.A., with honors, 1978); University of Detroit (J.D., 1982). Admitted: 1982 - State Bar of Michigan; U.S. District Court, Eastern and Western Districts of Michigan; U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth and Eighth Circuits. Certified Bankruptcy Court Mediator. Member: State Bar of Michigan (Member, Business Law Section, Bankruptcy Committee, Debtor/Creditor Rights Committee), Federal Bar Association (Former Co-Chair, Bankruptcy Section, Eastern District of Michigan). Adjunct Professor, University of Detroit/Mercy School of Law. Ms. Teicher has been named in The Best Lawyers in America in the Specialty of Bankruptcy and Creditor-Debtor Rights law. Practice Areas: Bankruptcy;
Contact & Links
- Essex Centre, Second Floor
28400 Northwestern Highway
P.O. Box 215
Southfield, MI 48034-1839
- Michigan State University, Bachelor of Arts, with honors, graduated 1978
- University of Detroit Mercy , Juris Doctor, graduated 1982
- Michigan, State Bar of Michigan
- United States, U.S. District Court, Eastern and Western Districts of Michigan
- United States, U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth and Eighth Circuits
- American Bankruptcy Institute - Member
- Bankruptcy Section, Eastern District of Michigan - Former Co-Chair
- Federal Bar Association, Detroit Chapter - Member
Named "Lawyer of the Year" by Best Lawyers® for:
- Litigation - Bankruptcy, Detroit (2022)
- Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency and Reorganization Law, Detroit (2019)
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America® 2022 for work in:
- Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency and Reorganization Law
- Litigation - Bankruptcy
- Commercial Litigation
- AV rated in Martindale Hubbell
- Recognized as a Top Lawyer by DBusiness Magazine in the area of bankruptcy
- Named in the Best Lawyers in America® in the practice areas of Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law and Litigation-Bankruptcy since 2010, in 2018 in the practice area of Commercial Litigation
- Recognized in the Michigan edition of Super Lawyers® in the practice areas of Business Bankruptcy, Business Litigation and Creditor/Debtor Rights
- Recognized by Super Lawyers® as one of the Top Women Lawyers for Business Bankruptcy.
"I first encountered Julie as opposing counsel when I was in private practice. I was impressed, and she is now our regular outside counsel for bankruptcy and creditor rights matters. She is knowledgeable, experienced, and dedicated to her clients. Julie has my highest recommendation."
- Ellen Tickner (Real Estate One (G. Pagella))
"It has been a pleasure to work closely with Julie Teicher as she represented A. Schulman Inc. on matters where our local counsel is not licensed to practice. Julie conscientiously keeps local counsel informed of status and is prompt and proactive in responding to my inquiries. Communication is timely, thorough, and provides helpful guidance and recommendations. Ms. Teicher's covering counsel is equally responsive and professional when she is out of the office."
- Anna Mantel (A. Schulman)
"Julie Teicher and her firm go out of their way to protect the interests of my company and employees."
- Kris Keat (Su-Dan Corp.)
"Julie Teicher is extremely knowledgeable in the bankruptcy/insolvency arena, both from a legal issue perspective and a forum knowledge perspective. She is very practical and thoughtful in her approach. She is also very alert to developing case law and local practice, which has added significant value, particularly in a local counsel retention setting. She has become one of our firm's go-to local counsel (and co-counsel) for bankruptcy matters in Michigan and is the only local counsel used (absent a conflict) by one automotive supplier client."
- Tiffany Cobb (Vorys, Sater, Seymour & Pease LLP)
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.