Judy Rost is a senior litigator practicing in civil litigation with an emphasis on business and franchise disputes, and estate matters involving business assets. Judy is the group leader of the firm’s Business Disputes and Franchise Practices and a member of the Intellectual Property + Technology and Wills, Estates + Trusts Practice Groups. She has acted for plaintiffs and defendants in all types of business disputes including shareholder, partnership, real estate, and franchise matters.
Judy has been recognized in legal publications for her expertise in commercial litigation and franchise disputes. Often clients seek her out to enforce their intellectual property rights or to get an injunction to preserve assets. Judy has successfully built her practice by being responsive to her clients’ needs and finding creative solutions to resolve their disputes.
- Has represented many clients involved in shareholder or partnership disputes
- Was counsel for the petitioner in one of the leading cases on partnership dissolution
- Has obtained injunctions to prevent the distribution of counterfeit products
- Conducted numerous cases involving the sale of large commercial and apartment buildings, with complex issues such as equitable mortgages, secret commissions, agency law and disclosure issues
- Has represented both beneficiaries and trustees in matters involving large commercial and residential properties and businesses
- Has represented landlords, tenants and indemnitors in a variety of commercial lease disputes
- Has represented creditors in bankruptcy, foreclosure and CCAA proceedings
- Has acted in cases involving the interpretation and enforcement of franchise agreements, including non-competition clauses
- Has successfully obtained worldwide Mareva injunctions in cases involving the fraudulent transfer of funds
- Has obtained Anton Piller orders including an order implemented by attending a warehouse and gathering evidence in relation to a missing film library worth in excess of U.S. $30 million
- Has represented clients at both the British Columbia Supreme Court and Federal Court regarding intellectual property matters involving trademark and copyright infringement as well as passing off
- Has represented brokers, brokerage firms and investors in relation to investments in various securities including private placements and publicly traded stocks
- Has obtained oppression remedies for minor and 50% shareholders