Mr. Martin concentrates his law practice on mediation and arbitration and on business counseling, particularly in the areas of telecommunications, public utilities and governmental relations. He serves as Chair of Potter Anderson's Diversity and Inclusion Committee, charged with enhancing the firm's ongoing diversity efforts.
Prior to joining the firm, Mr. Martin was President and Chief Executive Officer of Verizon Delaware from 1996 until early 2005, where he was responsible for all aspects of its telecommunications business within the state of Delaware, including regulatory, financial and operational matters. He first joined Verizon's predecessor (Bell Atlantic) in Delaware in 1990 as Vice President, General Counsel and Secretary. Prior to that, Mr. Martin was a Delaware Superior Court Judge for eight years. Earlier, he served on the Delaware Public Service Commission from 1978 to 1982, including three years as Chairman. A physicist by training, Mr. Martin began his legal career as a patent attorney for Hercules, Inc. from 1974 to 1982.
- Rutgers University School of Law, J.D., 1974
- Wharton School Executive Development Program
- Case Institute of Technology, B.S., 1966
- Delaware State Bar Association (former President); instrumental in organizing the Multicultural Judges and Lawyers Section
- Fellow, American Bar Foundation
- Trustee, Case Western Reserve University
- Life Trustee, Goldey Beacom College
- former Director, Nuclear Electric Insurance Ltd. (NEIL)
- Director, Southwest Power Pool, Inc.
- Trustee, Winterthur Museum
- Trustee and Director, Christiana Care Health System
- Mr. Martin's past community and professional activities include: Chairman, Wilmington Renaissance Corporation; Chairman, United Way of Delaware; Trustee, Delaware Community Foundation; Trustee, Wilmington Friends School; New Castle County Vo-Tech School Board; Chairman, YMCA Black Achievers Program
- Chair, Delaware Economic and Financial Advisory Council