Recognized since 2003
Employment Law - Management
He was elected to the prestigious American Board of Trial Advocates, an elite group of the country’s leading judges and civil trial lawyers. He has been selected by his peers as one of the “Best Lawyers in America” since 2003 and he was named a “2015 Lawyer of the Year” in the Houston area. Mr. Ahmad has been recognized as a leading lawyer in “Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business.” He has been named to the Texas Super Lawyers list since 2003, been on the Texas Super Lawyers Top 100 in Houston since 2006, and been in the Texas Super Lawyers Top 100 in Texas every year but one since 2006. He was also named a Benchmark Litigation Star in 2016-2017.
Having tried more than 50 cases to a verdict, and argued more than a dozen cases on appeal, he is a nationally recognized expert and frequent lecturer on a variety of law topics for organizations such as the American Bar Association, State Bar of Texas, The University of Texas School of Law, and the University of Houston Law Foundation. He has been a frequent commentator on legal issues for various media entities, including The Wall Street Journal, The New York Times, Houston Chronicle, and local television stations.
His more recent engagements include representing: a general counsel sued for trade secret theft, an owner of an accounting practice who signed a covenant not to compete and employment agreement with the buyer of his practice, and a group of physicians with senior administrative roles within their medical center to represent them in a breach-of-contract dispute.
He maintains the Legal Issues in the Executive Suite blog http://www.azalaw.com/blog/
Brady v. Fort Bend County and R. George Molina, 58 F.3d 173 (5th Cir. 1995), reh’g en banc granted (Aug. 25, 1995), appeal dismissed (Nov. 17, 1995)
Primeaux v. Conoco, 961 S.W.2d 401 (Tex.App.-Houston [1st Dist.] 1997, no writ)
Washinton v. HCA Health Services of Texas, Inc., 152 F.3d 464 (5th Cir. 1998), cert. granted 119 S.Ct. 2388 (1999)
Brady v. Fort Bend County, 145 F.3d 691 (5th Cir. 1998), cert. denied 119 S.Ct. 873 (1999)
Pratt v. City of Houston, Tex., 247 F.3d 601 (5th Cir. 2001)
Siler-Khodr v. University of Texas Health Science Center San Antonio, 261 F.3d 542 (5th Cir. 2001)
Mota v. University of Texas Houston Health Science Center, 261 F.3d 512 (5th Cir. 2001)
Contact & Links
- 1221 McKinney Street, Suite 2500
Houston, TX 77010
- University of Michigan - Ann Arbor, J.D., graduated 1987
- Lawrence University, B.A., graduated 1984
- Michigan, State Bar of Michigan
- Texas, State Bar of Texas
- Houston and American Bar Associations (Sections: Litigation; Labor and Employment Law; Co-Chair of Trade Secrets, Covenants Not to Compete and Duty of Loyalty Subcommittee) - Member
- Houston Bar Foundation - Fellow
- Houston Chapter, National Employment Lawyers Association (past president – 2000) - Member
- National Employment Lawyers Association - Member
- State Bar of Texas (Sections: Labor; Litigation) - Member
- Texas Bar Foundation - Fellow
- Texas Trial Lawyers Association - Member
- The Association of Trial Lawyers of America - Member
- Michigan, all state and federal courts
- Texas, all state and federal
Named "Lawyer of the Year" by Best Lawyers® for:
- Employment Law - Individuals, Houston (2015)
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America® 2023 for work in:
- Commercial Litigation
- Employment Law - Management
- Chambers USA Leading Lawyers for Business
- Best Lawyers in America, 2003-2020
- Top 100 Texas Super Lawyers 2006-2009, 2011-2019
- Litigation Star by Benchmark Litigation, 2016-2018
- Texas Super Lawyers, 2003-2019, Thomson Reuters
- Lawyer of the Year in Houston, 2015, Employment Law, Best Lawyers in America
- AV Preeminent Rated by Martindale-Hubbell, the highest possible rating
- Board Certified in Labor & Employment Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization
"Joseph Ahmad is respected, aggressive, results oriented, and well known in the community and media. You want him on your side."
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.