As a preeminent collaborative family law lawyer and mediator Joe Spirito successfully resolves complex divorces.
Joe has been in private practice in the Los Angeles area since 1982. He formed McGaughey & Spirito in 1990. Joe has continually maintained an AV rating in the Martindale-Hubbell legal publication and is listed in the Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers. Joe is co-founder and past president of the collaborative divorce group, A Better Divorce, as well as former President and Board Member of the South Bay Bar Association. He is the current Chair of the Los Angeles County Bar Association’s Family Law Section, one of the largest family law bar associations in the United States.
Joe has also served as a family law Judge Pro Tem and is currently a Mediator in the Los Angeles Superior Court Family Law Departments. He has appeared numerous times on NBC’s evening news with anchor Colleen Williams and has been a commentator on “Air Talk – The Legal Edition,” KPCC-FM, Pasadena, California, CBC National TV, American Journal National TV, and ABC National Radio.
Joe has been selected by his peers to the Southern California Super Lawyers list (2005 to present) and The Best Lawyers In America list (2013 to present) for the practice area of Family Law.
Select Lectures & Publications
- Moderator of Continuing Legal Education Seminar Elements of Collaborative Practice for Lawyers, September 19, 2017.
- Interdisciplinary Collaborative Practice Training, Loyola Law School- Guest Lecturer and Instructor, August 2017, August 2015, January 2014, August 2014, August 2013
- Los Angeles County Bar Association Program Chair for the 49th Annual Family Law Symposium, May 6, 2017
- Collaborative Divorce in California Podcast, Divorce Magazine - Joe Spirito on Collaborative Divorce in California- Speaker, 2015
- “Principles and Guidelines For Collaborative Practice,” UCLA Law School – Speaker, November 10, 2015
- “The Devils in the Details: Reimbursements and Credits; Calculating Watts/Epstein & Moore/Marsden,” – Presenter, November 9, 2015
- “Collaborative Divorces Gain Momentum,” Palos Verdes Peninsula News – Author, September 16, 2015
- 47th Annual Family Law Symposium presented by Los Angeles County Bar Association Family Law Section and the Los Angeles Superior Court – Speaker, May 2, 2015
- Los Angeles County Bar Association Program Chair for the 36th Annual Child Custody Colloquium, September 20, 2014
- “Social Work and the Law”, USC Graduate School of Social Work – Guest Lecturer, April 18, 2013
- “Does What Happens in Vegas Stay in Vegas?”, Collaborative Divorce and Disqualification, CP Cal (Collaborative Practice California) Eighth Annual Statewide Conference of Collaborative Professionals – Presenter, April 26-28, 2013
- “Litigation or Mediation: Debate and Discussion,” Drew Hunt Study Group, Providers: White, Zuckerman, Warsavsky, Luna & Hunt – Instructor, December 3, 2012
- “Building a Better Sandbox: Creating and Building a Thriving Practice Group,” International Academy of Collaborative Professionals 12th Annual Networking and Educational Forum – Presenter, October 27, 2011
- “Building a Better Sandbox: Creating and Building a Thriving Practice Group,” CP Cal (Collaborative Practice California)- Presenter, April 29, 2011
- “Reaching Successful Settlements in Today’s California Family Law Cases”. Inside the Minds: Strategies for Family Law in California, Aspatore Books, a Thomson Reuters publication – Author, 2012 Edition
- “Managing New Challenges In California Family Law Disputes.” Inside the Minds: Strategies for Family Law in California, Aspatore Books, a Thomson Reuters publication – Author, 2011 Edition
- “Collaborative Law and the Financial Expert,” California Society of CPA’s Family Law Section Meeting – Presenter, May 21, 2010
- “Role of the Lawyer” and “Enrolling the Client,” Los Angeles Collaborative Family Law Association – Presenter, 2009 – Present
- 35th Annual Family Law Symposium presented by Los Angeles County Bar Association Family Law Section and the Los Angeles Superior Court Speaker, May 13, 2003
- In 2001, co-initiated a program with Los Angeles County Supervising Family Law Judge, Aviva Bobb, utilizing her courtroom to present a program with Pauline Tesler and Nancy Ross, introducing the collaborative divorce model to approximately 100 attorneys, judges, and mental health professionals in the county.
- California State University at Northridge, Associate Professor, Business Law, 1986 – 1995
- Los Angeles Superior Court, Judge Pro Tem, Mediator
- KPCC-FM, Pasadena, California, CBC National Television, Commentator, “Air Talk – The Legal Edition”
- CBC National Television
- American Journal National Television
- ABC National Radio
- Appeared on multiple occasions on Channel 4 Evening News with anchor Colleen Williams
- Tremaine, Shenk, Stroud & Robbins – Partner 1987-1990, 1982 – 1990