Recognized since 1997
Trusts and Estates
Joseph E. Tierney, III has more than forty years of experience focused primarily on tax and corporate law for businesses, owner families and individuals. He has particular experience in the design and administration of plans for very large estates, including some whose accumulated assets have totaled in the eight- and nine-figures. He has also been lead counsel in the purchase and sale of numerous businesses and has extensive experience in entity selection and structuring.
Because tax consequences drive business and estate planning decisions, Joe’s counsel includes guidance in a wide range of situations to achieve both the business and personal goals of his clients. Joe’s business practice encompasses long-term representation of companies across a broad spectrum of industries, including cold storage, gas line construction, investment management, software development, manufacturing and import-export. Joe assists at every stage of a company’s growth and development, and advises clients in the day-to-day operation of their businesses, on issues involving personnel, compensation, and negotiation of complex financial issues. Additionally, he has participated in negotiations with the Environmental Protection Agency and the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources with respect to remediation of an important contaminated site.
In the estate planning context, Joe possesses substantial experience in charitable gifting, and the creation and supervision of many forms of charitable organizations, in addition to extensive familiarity with all appropriate tax-advantageous planning strategies.
Joe is a seasoned professional speaker and author, and has written over one hundred articles and speeches on the topic of tax law. He is now serving as an adjunct professor at Marquette Law School
Contact & Links
- Lawyer Page: https://www.mtfn.com/attorneys-Joseph-Tierney.html
- 111 East Kilbourn Avenue
The Milwaukee Center, 19th Floor
Milwaukee, WI 53202
- New York University, LL.M., Taxation, graduated 1967
- Marquette University , J.D., graduated 1966
- Marquette University, BA, graduated 1964
- Wisconsin, State Bar of Wisconsin
- American Bar Association - Member
- Milwaukee Bar Association - Member
- Milwaukee Estate Planning Association - Member
- Professional Institute of Tax Study - Member
- State Bar of Wisconsin - Member
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America® 2022 for work in:
- Tax Law
- Trusts and Estates
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Peer Review Rated
- The Best Lawyers In America® (1995 - 2014)
- Wisconsin Super Lawyers® (2005 - 2013)
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.