Recognized since 2021
Joe is the chair of the firm’s Litigation Practice Group. He manages a variety of complex cases involving software, class actions, real estate, products liability, banking, and intellectual property matters. He has extensive experience representing both large and small plaintiffs and defendants in challenging civil litigation. He has been selected as a member of Wisconsin Super Lawyers for six years in a row.
Prior to joining O’Neil, Cannon, Hollman, DeJong & Laing S.C., Joe was an associate at the law firm of Freeborn & Peters, LLP, in Chicago, Illinois where he worked on patent prosecution, appellate litigation, and products liability matters. He was a law clerk in the United States District Court for the Central District of Illinois to the Honorable Joe Billy McDade, and a law clerk in the Southern District of Illinois to the Honorable Donald G. Wilkerson.
Experience/Representative Client Work
· OnCourse Learning Corp. v. Integrated Systems Corp., Milwaukee County Case No. 17cv3139 (2017) – Successfully obtained injunction as lead counsel for corporation resulting in the preservation of millions of dollars in intellectual property.
· Wright Development Group, LLC v. Walsh, 238 Ill. 2d 620 (2010) – In case of first impression, successfully convinced Illinois Supreme Court to apply the Illinois Anti-SLAPP Act and award full attorneys' fee for plaintiff.
· Koss Corp. v. Park Bank, Milwaukee County, Case No. 10-CV-21290 (2010) – Successfully defended bank against negligence claims related to the 10th largest embezzlement in U.S. history.
· In re DOC Milwaukee, LP, Milwaukee County, Case No. 09-CV-9785 (2009) – Successfully resolved litigation related to the fourteen-story Staybridge Building in downtown Milwaukee.
· Germania Real Estate Venture II LLC v. Stir LLC, Milwaukee County, Case No. Case No. 15-cv-5338 (2015) – Led litigation successfully obtaining injunctions which allowed restoration of an eight-story Milwaukee landmark to proceed.
· Robatech Midwest, Inc. v. Leuthner, 2015 WL 1219642 (E.D. Wis. 2015) – Led litigation under Wisconsin Fair Dealer Law preventing termination of Wisconsin manufacturing equipment franchise.
· Barkley Ventures, Inc. v. Canine Investments, Inc., AAA Arb. 51-114-E-01215-13 (2014) – Led successful arbitration against a national franchisor resulting in full award of damages and attorneys’ fees against franchisor for violation of the Wisconsin Fair Dealer Law.
· GMAC, LLC v. Gustman Chevrolet-Olds-Cadillac, Inc., E.D. Wis. Case No. 09-CV-293 (2009) – Successfully prevented closure of Wisconsin dealership sought by GMAC.
· PTR, Inc. v. Forsythe Racing, Inc., N.D. Ill, Case No. 08-CV-05517 (2008) – Successfully defended litigation by well-known race car driver against racing team resulting in favorable settlement.
- 111 East Wisconsin Avenue, Suite 1400
Milwaukee, WI 53202
- Grinnell College
- Washington University in St. Louis
- Wisconsin, Wisconsin State Bar
- Eastern District Bar Association - Member
- Lake Park Friends - Member
- Ride MKE - Member
- Saint Robert’s Athletic Association - Member
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America® 2023 for work in:
- Commercial Litigation
- Selected for inclusion in Wisconsin Super Lawyers, 2013–2020 Law & Politics and Milwaukee Magazine
- Washington University, Milton F. Napier Award for Excellence in Trial Advocacy
- Selected for inclusion in 2012 Wisconsin Super Lawyers Rising Stars, Law & Politics and Milwaukee Magazine
Articles/PresentationsSpeaker, O’Neil, Cannon, Hollman, DeJong & Laing, 2014 Hot Topics for Small Firm and Solo Practitioners seminar, panel discussion “The Drafting of Business Documents: Perspectives from Transactional and Litigation Attorneys”
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.