Joseph A. Cancila, Jr.
Recognized in:Mass Tort Litigation / Class Actions - DefendantsProduct Liability Litigation - Defendants
Law School:University of Chicago
Firm's Phone Number:
Location:70 West Madison Street, Suite 2900Chicago, IL 60602
- University of Chicago , J.D., with honors, graduated 1986
- Syracuse University, M.P.A., graduated 1976
- University of Dayton, B.A., with high honors, graduated 1974
- Illinois, Illinois State Bar
- Pennsylvania, Pennsylvania State Bar
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois (Trial Bar)
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
- American Bar Association - Member
- Chicago Bar Association - Member
- Illinois State Bar Association - Member
- International Association of Defense Counsel - Member
Named "Lawyer of the Year" by Best Lawyers for:
- Mass Tort Litigation / Class Actions - Defendants, Chicago (2021)
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America for work in:
- Mass Tort Litigation / Class Actions - Defendants
- Product Liability Litigation - Defendants
The Best Lawyers in America, Best Lawyers (Mass Tort Litigation / Class Actions-Defendants, 2012-2022; Product Liability Litigation-Defendants, 2012-2022)
2021 Chicago Mass Tort Litigation / Class Actions-Defendants "Lawyer of the Year," Best Lawyers
Client Service All-Star, BTI Consulting Group (2020)
Lawyer Practice Areas
Lawyer Case History
· Joe has extensive class certification evidentiary hearing experience and trial experience in both federal and state courts, as well as before arbitrators.
· Insurers, corporations and other business entities have called on Joe to represent them in connection with several dozen class actions in numerous states. In most of those cases, he accomplished dismissals or denials of class certification.
· Joe has successfully resolved other class action cases through mediation and state and national class action settlements.
· Joe successfully resolved environmental class litigation asserted against a client automotive parts manufacturer through a mediated class settlement.
· Joe has successfully represented corporations and insurers in antitrust challenges and other alleged statutory violations or business torts. For instance, he has represented manufacturers and insurers in cases involving claims of breach of contract, price discrimination, antitrust, RICO, or other asserted statutory violations.
· Joe has represented employers and insurers in connection with administrative investigations of discrimination complaints.
· Employers and former employees have turned to Joe to represent them in claims involving trade secrets or non-compete provisions.
· Joe has successfully argued appeals before the Illinois Appellate Courts and the United States Courts of Appeal for the Fifth, Sixth, Seventh and Eighth Circuits.