JOSÉ THEODORO ALVES DE ARAÚJO
Office: São Paulo
Dir. phone: (55) (11) 3049-5705
Areas of Practice
Corporate, Banking and Capital Markets, Infrastructure, Regulatory and Administrative Law.
• Bachelor of Laws (LL.B.) from Universidade de São Paulo Law School – USP (1962);
• Career improvement course on Financial System at Getulio Vargas Business School (1963);
• Career improvement course on Comparative and International Law at Parker School, Columbia University, New York, USA (1972);
• International Arbitration Course at Universidade de São Paulo Law School – USP (1975).
Portuguese, English, French and Spanish.
• Recognized for his outstanding work in Corporate/M&A practice area by The Legal 500 Latin America (2012 to 2016 Editions);
• Recommended by Who's Who Legal 2010 Brazil, as a reference in Mergers & Acquisitions. He is quoted as "a legendary figure in the legal environment of the country, with outstanding expertise in International Law and foreign investment." The British publication aims to identify lawyers recognized benchmark in their area of practice;
• Recognized for his work in Corporate and M&A (International) in The Best Lawyers in Brazil (since 2010). Published in the United States for over 25 years, Best Lawyers is a reference guide for global advocacy;
• Recognized by Latin Lawyer 250 (since 2007). He is described as a
“respected and cerebral leader with a weight of experience in Corporate Law”.
• Member of the International Bar Association - IBA;
• Reporter for the Tax Committee of the International Bar Association and for the Tax Management International Journal (Tax Management, Inc., Wash.) about tax developments in Brazil;
• Member of the Board of Directors of BASF Brasileira S/A (BASF AG);
• Member of Inter-Pacific Bar Association, in which he is a member of the Board of Directors (court counselor of Brazil);
• Member of the São Paulo Lawyers Institute (member-Counselor) - IASP;
• Legal Counsel for the Executive Board of Directors of the American Chamber of Commerce of São Paulo - AMCHAM;
• Chairman of the Trade, Investment & Technology Committee of the American Chamber of Commerce; of the Energy Task Force of the American Chamber of Commerce formed by corporations of the specific sector;
• Member of American Society of International Law; and of World Peace Through Law Center.