Partner of Carey and co-head of the firm´s Corporate / Mergers and Acquisitions / Capital Markets Group. His practice focuses on advising local and foreign clients in mergers and acquisitions, private equity transactions, capital market and general corporate matters. He is a recurrent counsel in the negotiation of share, equity and asset purchase agreements, shareholders agreements, corporate governance and board’s liability. He also acts as counsel to family companies and holdings, structuring estate successions and providing integral advice to the controlling group and the operative companies. Jorge is author of the book "Share Transfer Agreements" published in 2016.
Activities and Memberships
- Coordinator of the Private Law Department, Universidad Católica de Chile (since 2019).
- Professor of Civil Law, Universidad Católica de Chile (since 2017).
- Professor of Commercial Law, Universidad Católica de Chile (2010-2017).
- Professor of the Degree in Mergers and Acquisitions, Universidad de Los Andes (since 2017).
- Professor of the Degree in Civil Liability and Damage Law, Universidad de Chile (since 2017).
- Member of the Sustainability and Corporate Governance Committee, SOFOFA (2017).
- Advisor of the Commission for the new Commercial Regulation in Chile (2016-2017).
- Writing Advisor for the regulation of the Law 20,659: "Companies incorporated in one day" for the Ministry of Economy, enacted in 2013.
- Member of the Center for Corporate Governance, Universidad Católica de Chile (since 2010).
- Professor of an Investment Funds Seminar, Universidad Católica de Chile (2012).
- Assistant Professor of Civil Law, Universidad Católica de Chile (2006-2008).
- Member of the International Bar Association.
- Member of the Chilean Bar Association.
- Author of the book “Share Transfer Agreements”, Editorial Jurídica de Chile (2016).
- Co-author of the Chilean chapter of “Corporate Governance Review”, Law Business Research (2017).
- Author of “Enforceability of Contracts against Third Parties and Actions Arising therein”, Revista Chilena de Derecho Privado (2017).
- Co-author of “Mergers and Acquisitions in Chile: Approaching the Controlling Shareholder”, introductory chapter of Who’s Who Legal: Mergers and Acquisitions (2014).
- Author of “Foundations and Actions for the Application of the Veil Piercing in Chile”, Revista Chilena de Derecho, No. 3; article which has been expressly quoted and its doctrine has been adopted by the Supreme Court of Chile (2012).
- Author of “Democracy and Natural Law in the United States: The Ideas of the Founding Fathers”, Revista Estudios Públicos, CEP, No. 119 (2010).
- Author of “Protecting Force Inheritance against Specific Legacies”, Revista Chilena de Derecho, No. 2 (2007).
- Conference “The Concept of Controlling Shareholder in the Chilean Capital Market”, International Seminar on Corporate Governance organized by the CGC UC, the Hennick Centre of Canada, Columbia University and Carey (2017).
- Conference “Risks and Liabilities that Board Members Face”, Seminar “Boards of Family Companies: Keys and Challenges” organized by ESE Business School and the Family Business Association (2017).
- Conference “Share Transfer Agreements”, Chilean Bar Association (2016).
- Conference “Piercing of the Corporate Veil in the Chilean Civil and Corporate Case Law”, Chilean Bar Association (2013).