John W. Lawit
Recognized since 1991
JOHN W. LAWIT has more than 40 years of immigration law experience. He represents businesses wishing to employ foreign nationals, families seeking immigration benefits, non-immigrants, consular cases,removal defense, VAWA, U visas, Special Immigrant Juvenile (SIJ), TPS and appellate work.
Mr. Lawit has been issued a license by the Law Society of British Columbia to act as a Foreign Legal Consultant. Mr. Lawit is the author of the New Mexico Immigration and Nationality Law Practice Act, the first law enacted in the U.S. to protect immigrants from the unauthorized practice of immigration law. He is a member of the New Mexico and Texas Bar, the American Immigration Lawyers Association. He was a founder and director of the Immigration Law Section of the Dallas Bar Association Mr. Lawit is a current member and past chairman of the Immigration Law Section of the New Mexico State Bar. He is regularly invited to speak at law conferences throughout the United States and internationally.
Mr. Lawit has served as an adjunct professor of immigration law at Texas Tech University and the University of New Mexico's School of Law. He was selected by the U.S. Department of Justice to serve as a U.S. Immigration Judge, and has been listed in Who's Who In American Law, Bar Directory of Preeminent Lawyers and Best Lawyers in America for over 25 years. Mr. Lawit is also listed in Southwest Super Lawyers and Texas Super lawyers. The Mexican Ministry of Foreign Affairs has appointed him as Special Immigration Counsel to the Republic of Mexico.
Mr. Lawit received his B.A. from the University of New Mexico and his J.D. from the University of New Hampshire.
- Selected to be U.S. Immigration Law Judge, 1985
- Appointed as Special Immigration Counsel to the Republic of Mexico by the Mexican Ministry of Foreign Affairs (1983)
- Appointed by the Governor of the State of New Mexico to the New Mexico International Trade/Investment Counsel (1984-1987)
- Appointed by two New Mexico Governors to the New Mexico Border Commission (1982-1986)
Contact & Links
- E-mail: email@example.com
- Direct Phone Number: 214-609-2242
- Phone Number: 214-609-2242
- Lawyer Page: http://www.lawitlaw.com
- 1200 West Walnut Hill Lane, Suite 1450
P.O. Box 166098
Irving, TX 75038
- University of New Hampshire, J.D., graduated 1977
- British Columbia, Law Society of British Columbia
- Texas, State Bar of Texas
- New Mexico, State Bar of New Mexico
- Dallas Bar Association - Immigration Law Section Founder and member
- Human Rights Initiative of North Texas - Volunteer Attorney
- State Bar of Texas Immigration Law Sectiion - Member
- Texas ACLU - member
- American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA) - Member
- American-Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee - Member
- El Paso Association of Immigration and Nationality Lawyers - Member
- Immigration Law Section of the State Bar of New Mexico - Former Chair
- New Mexico ACLU (American Civil Liberties Union) - Board of Directors
- New Mexico Bar Association - Member
- Texas Bar Association - Member
- District of New Mexico, August 13th, 1980
- Eastern District of Pennsylvania, October 24th, 1978
Recognized in The Best Lawyers® in America 2023 for work in:
- Immigration Law
- Corporate Immigration Firm of the Year - USA, Finance Monthly Law Awards, 2011
- Who’s Who in American Law
- Received awards from Catholic Social Services and Jewish Family Services for providing immigration assistance to both organizations
- Super Lawyers by Thomson Reuters, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014
- AV®Preeminent Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Best Lawyers in America, 1991-present
- AVVO Highest Rating 2010 - Present
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.