John is one of the founding partners and the Chairman of Cairncross & Hempelmann, a full service Seattle law firm. He regularly handles complicated Transit Oriented Development (TOD) projects, and has over 40 years of experience as a land use, natural resources and real estate development attorney. He has worked extensively to help form the legislation that governs Washington’s land use law. John assists clients with real estate development projects, including their land use, zoning and environmental matters, and with their natural resource permit processes.
Examples of the many innovative projects in which John has been involved include:
- Landmark commercial, mixed-use, hotel, residential and institutional urban developments
- The Pine Forest TOD Master Development Plan – a million square feet at the East Link 120th Avenue Station
- Major open space, conservation and TDR transactions in Washington and Maine
- Development of Suncadia (Washington’s first master planned resort)
- Development of the first Major Industrial Development under the provisions of the State Growth Management Act
- Major mineral resource developments