Recognized since 2014
Collaborative Law: Family Law
For more than 37 years, John has handled litigation, trials and appeals in state and federal courts. His practice now focuses exclusively on the resolution of complex divorce and family law cases, whether resolved through settlement, the litigation process and trial, mediation, the collaborative process or the appellate process.
John is actively involved in the Family Law Section of the Florida Bar Association. He currently serves on the Family Law Section’s Executive Council and Legislation Committee. John co-chairs the Parentage Committee, he is the co-secretary of the Children’s Issues Committee, and he is a member of the Ad Hoc Constitutional Revision Committee and the Domestic Violence Committee. John is a former chair of the Equitable Distribution Committee.
John has achieved the highest AV rating by Martindale Hubbell and he is ranked by Chambers USA. John has been named as one of America’s Best Lawyers, as Florida Legal Elite for Marital and Family law by Florida Trend, as a Florida “Super Lawyer”, as one of Orlando’s Best Lawyers by Orlando Magazine and as a top Orlando lawyer by the Orlando Home and Leisure Magazine. By invitation, John is a member of the National Advocates “Top 100”.
Experience: In his 37 years of practice, John has:
- Handled numerous marital and family law cases through mediations, trials and appeals dealing with issues such as dissolution of marriage, equitable distribution of marital assets and liabilities, alimony, parenting issues, timesharing or custody issues, child support, paternity, the enforceability of prenuptial agreements and other family law or marital issues, including the representation of business entities named as parties in marital dissolution actions.
- Negotiated and drafted numerous marital agreements including Marital Settlement Agreements, Parenting Plans, Prenuptial or Antenuptial Agreements, and Post-Nuptial Agreements.
- Handled numerous marital and family law cases to resolution through the Collaborative Process. (John has completed the Collaborative Training.)
- Defended professional sports teams against antitrust and tortious interference claims.
- Served as lead counsel for major theme park in numerous significant cases including a case involving design and fabrication of client’s fleet of 12 high-capacity monorail trains.
- Served as lead counsel in federal cases involving Florida’s Control Share Acquisition Act (or Anti-Takeover Act).
- Served as lead trial counsel for the receiver of a large home building company ($100 million in sales).
- Assisted the receiver in preparing a plan for reorganization in the receivership proceedings and represented the receiver in prosecuting and defending against numerous commercial claims.
- Prosecuted and defended claims alleging breach of contract, fraud and securities fraud, including disputed cases arising out of the sale and purchase of stock or other securities.
- Served as lead counsel in variety of construction disputes, including numerous cases involving design and construction of attractions at major theme parks, hotel and resort projects, large public projects, including courthouse and school construction, and numerous other projects.
- Served as lead counsel in cases involving trademark infringement claims and other cases involving clients’ intellectual property rights and claims.
- Orange County Bar Association Legal Aid Society: Certificate of Appreciation (pro bono) (2011)
- Florida Bar Association
- Family Law Section: Equitable Distribution Committee: Chair (2011 to 2012, 2012 to 2013)
- Family Law Section: Executive Council
- Family Law Section: Legislation Committee
- Family Law Section: Parentage Committee: Co-Chair (2014-Present)
- Family Law Section: Children’s Issues Committee: Co-Secretary (2017-18)
- Family Law Section: Ad Hoc Constitutional Revision Committee (2016-16 and 2017-18)
- Family Law Section: Domestic Violence Committee (2017-18)
- Orange County Bar Association
- George C. Young American Inn of Court, Board of Directors, Current Chair of Membership
- Orange County Family Law Inn of Court
- American Bar Association
- Turning Point Central Florida: Board of Directors (Current)
- Youth Ministry Institute: Former Member of the Board of Directors
- United Methodist Church: Former Member of the Board of Trustees
- Mind, Body and Soul Surfing Club
- Mind, Body & Soul Recovery Housing
Hobbies and Interests
John is an avid Surfer! He considers his “home break” to be Playa Hermosa, Costa Rica, to where he frequently travels in search of great waves. John enjoys paddling his stand-up paddle boards, working out, being humbled at his daughter’s fitness boot camp called “Get Jac’d” and reading.
- 618 East South Street, Suite 110
Orlando, FL 32801
- University of Florida , graduated 1980
- Rollins College, graduated 1976
- Florida, 1981
- S. Supreme Court, 1991
- S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit, 1981
- S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit, 1981
- S. District Court, Middle District of Florida, 1981
- S. District Court, Northern District of Florida, 1981
- S. District Court, Southern District of Florida, 1981
Named "Lawyer of the Year" by Best Lawyers® for:
- Collaborative Law: Family Law, Orlando (2023)
- Family Law, Orlando (2020)
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America® 2023 for work in:
- Family Law
- Commercial Litigation
- Collaborative Law: Family Law
- Family Law
- America’s Best Lawyers
- Chambers USA “Leading Lawyer”
- Florida Legal Elite: Marital and Family Law
- Orlando Magazine: Best Lawyers
- Florida “Super Lawyer” (2012 to 2017)
- Orlando Home and Leisure Magazine: Top Lawyer
- National Advocates “Top 100”
- Martindale Hubbell-Highest AV Rating
- Florida Bar Family Law Section: Rising Star
News & Links
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.