Recognized since 2006
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Litigation - Trusts and Estates
Trusts and Estates
John T. Midgett is a Shareholder in the Law Firm of Midgett Preti Olansen. His practice is concentrated in the related areas of estate planning, administration and taxation, estate and trust litigation, and family business planning.
Mr. Midgett is a graduate of the University of Virginia, where he attained a Bachelor of Arts degree, with Distinction. He is a graduate of the T. C. Williams School of Law at the University of Richmond, where he was a member of the Law Review.
Mr. Midgett is a dynamic speaker on topics relating to estate planning, taxation, probate, elder law, and family businesses. He has written and lectured to attorneys, accountants, and trust officers in the related areas of estate planning, taxation and administration for the continuing education required in the various professions.
In addition to his practice and speaking schedule, Mr. Midgett is actively involved in the Hampton Roads Estate Planning Council, having served as President (2010-2011), and a 25 year member of the Duke University Estate Planning Council, and served as Chair of the Trusts & Estates Section of the Virginia State Bar in 2008-2009. He was Chair of the Virginia Bar Association Wills, Trusts & Estates Section (2017-2018) and serves on its Legislative Committee. Mr. Midgett is also on the Board of Directors for the National Association of Estate Planners & Councils. He is a Past President of the Hampton Roads Gift Planning Council, the Hampton Roads Estate Planning Council, the Tidewater Chapter of the International Association of Financial Planners (now known as the Financial Planning Association) and the Hampton Roads Chapter of the Society of FSM™ Financial Service Professionals.
In May, 2006 he was elected by the Board of Directors of the National Association of Estate Planners & Councils as an Accredited Estate Planner®. Mr. Midgett has been rated as “AV” in the areas of estate planning and administration, the highest designation available to attorneys in the Martindale-Hubbell® Law Directory. He has been named to Virginia Business Magazine’s Legal Elite, is a “Super Lawyer” and has been included in the 2006-2020 editions of The Best Lawyers in America®, where he is designated as “Lawyer of the Year”® Litigation-Trusts and Estates-Norfolk, Va. in 2013, 2015 and 2017. He is a Fellow in the American College of Trust and Estate Planning Counsel.
Contact & Links
- 2901 South Lynnhaven Road, Suite 120
Virginia Beach, VA 23452
- University of Richmond , J.D., graduated 1978
- University of Virginia, B.A., graduated 1975
- Virginia, 1978
- American Bar Association - Member
- Hampton Roads Estate Planning Council - President 2010-2011
- National Association Estate Planners and Councils - Board of Directors
- National Association of Estate Planners & Councils - Director 2017-2020
- Norfolk-Portsmouth Bar Association - Member
- Virginia Bar Association - Chair, Wills, Trusts and Estates Section, 2017-2018
- Virginia Beach Bar Association - Member
- Virginia State Bar Association - Chair, Trusts and Estates Section, 2009-2010
- United States District Court, Eastern District of Virginia
- Virginia Surpreme Court
Named "Lawyer of the Year" by Best Lawyers® for:
- Litigation - Trusts and Estates, Norfolk (2019)
- Litigation - Trusts and Estates, Norfolk (2017)
- Litigation - Trusts and Estates, Norfolk (2015)
- Litigation - Trusts and Estates, Norfolk (2013)
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America® 2022 for work in:
- Litigation - Trusts and Estates
- Trusts and Estates
- Estate Planning
- Trust Administration
- Fellow in the American College of Trust and Estate Planning Counsel
- AV® Preeminent ™ Peer Review Rating by LexisNexis Martindale-Hubbell
- Accredited Estate Planner®, National Association of Estate Planners & Councils, 2006
- Virginia Business Magazine’s Legal Elite, 2001-Present
- Virginia “Super Lawyer”, 2005-Present
- The Best Lawyers in America®, 2006-Present
- “Lawyer of the Year”® - Litigation-Trust and Estate-Norfolk, VA. in 2013, 2015 and 2017
- “Top Lawyers”, 2016-2018, Coastal Virginia Magazine
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.